Fishing in the heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing in the heat

With triple digit heat indices this week, what little tricks do you use to keep cool while out on the water?

Examples:
    I used to wet wade in this weather, or I'd take off my shirt, dunk it in the water and put it back on.
    I'd try to find shady patches, kinda hard to do out on the open water of the Bay.

What works for you?

This morning while on the Severn we paddled under the shade of the bridge and what difference in temp!

Comment

Stay hydrated.

Use sun screen.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

It also helps to turn side saddle on the kayak and dangle your feet in the water.

Comment

I look for trees and fish under shade, and stay hydrated

Comment

Those light broad brimmed aerated hats help in direct sun, as does light colored loose fitting clothing. Sun block, ice towels for face and neck, stay shady - the fish like shade too! If it's really hot like now, time your fishing to avoid being on the water between 11;00 a.m - 5 - 6:00 pm.

Other than that, avoid beer, caffeine and ibuprofen if you're going out in the sun for an extended period. The beer and caffeine will dehydrate you, and the ibuprofen can cause kidney failure if you are seriously dehydrated.

Comment

Last summer when the heat was above 95 deg, I made two midday kayak trolling trips from Jonas Green to Greenbury Pt and back. I kept moving slowly and had a fabulous perch bite in certain areas. There were times when I could not keep 3 lines in the water because the fish were coming on the lures too fast. It definitely was cooler on the water than onshore. I have not tried it this year yet.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I get out later in the day after the peak of the heat- dunk my Cabela's River drover hat in the water and put it on wet and drink lots of water or Gatoraide- or I go at 5 am and get off the water by 10:30-

And I always wear the Columbia sun protection products- the long sleeve fishing shirts and the zip off fishing pants- usually wear my buff neck/face sleeve protector and SPF 50 sun block on all exposed skin- Lots and lots of cool water and/or a gallon of Gatoraide-
                Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-17-2013, 09:39 AM.
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Avoid the midday heat as best as possible like ronaultmtd stated and make sure to take more water than you'll need with you. When I get really hot, I'll just tie all my gear down, stand up, and cannonball over the side for a refreshing dip to cool me off.
                  Brian

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Columbia line of PFG clothing. The direct sun is worse for me than the heat itself so I stay shady with a wide brim hat, long sleeve PFG shirt, and lightweight zip-off pants. Add a big bottle of water and I'm good to go.

-Mike
                    Mike
                    Feelfree Lure 11.5
                    Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Working...
                    X