Just wanted to say Hi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wanted to say Hi

HI all, ive been lurking around on this site for a few months now, getting info on this and that. Was looking to get a OC trident 13 or cuda 14, but ended up getting a good deal on a used tarpon 160i. Ive taken it out a few times since i got it and I'm still getting used to it, before I actually try fishing off it. My only question is speed/endurance, I had a old crappy sit in kayak which felt like a barge to paddle, this thing is much nicer and faster, but I still feel like its slow going and my endurance is that great. Is this just something I have to work my body at to build up?

Hi There! If you are having speed / performance issues. I would check three things. First , your paddling form. Kayak strokes should be very different than say a canoe stroke. You really should be engaging your core muscles and torso rotation from that core should help provide a lot of the power. Maybe check youtube for kayak paddling form or something. I think you can find a "how to" on just about anything on youtube. Second, what kind of paddle are you using. There's a HUGE difference in paddles. Length , blade type and weight. If you have a cheap paddle I would bet it is quite heavy. On a long paddle, the weight can really tire you out after a while. Lastly, are you using a paddle straight or feathered. I prefer using a feathered paddle. It really decreases wind resistance and makes it easier to paddle. This effect os applifoed on windy days particularly when you have a headwind.

Unless you are a really big guy / gal, that Tarpon 160 should scoot along really easy and should be a fairly fast ride. I had a 120 and it was much faster and easier to paddle than my little Pamlico 100.

Just my .02. Other may agree or disagree, but I'm sticking to what I said.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Working...
    X