Heading out to Poplar Island to Jig and Live Line for Rockfish on Sat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading out to Poplar Island to Jig and Live Line for Rockfish on Sat

Coop1486 got his kayaking friends access for the day to use a ramp at a private marina across from Poplar Island on Saturday July 20th, if we have lunch there. We will be launching from the Tilghman Island area early Saturday morning to beat the heat. We will break for lunch at the marina's restaurant. The goal is to live line and jig for rockfish. Let us know if you are interested in joining us.

So far these are yakers who will be joining Coop1486:

Coop1486
    MOC
    Walk the Plank
    Markdilljr
    Fast Eddie

Launching is all dependent on the weather as usual.
    Last edited by moc; 07-17-2013, 07:21 PM.

I might be interested in joining y'all, never been out after rock fish what tackle and bait do I need? A sit-in kayak should be fine for the bay right?

Comment

The winds for sat looks like 13 MPH winds.The back up plan will be to fish the Harris creek for red drum,perch rockfish,spot and croakers.Harris ceek is only 15 Minutes drive from Lowes marina.We can still drive back there for lunch.
      2012 hobie outback
      2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Hey, count me in. As a first timer, I've been promising MOC that I'd join in for a while. Let me know the meet time at Lowes. Thx.

Comment

It seems like we are building a little group to go explore Poplar Island and Harris Creek. I have never been to either one of them on a kayak. I did fish on a charter boat outside of Poplar island and the bite was incredible. I would not mind catching a nice keeper red drum in Harris Creek if we end up there because of winds.

As for a Kayak, I believe a SOT is better if the water is choppy than a SIT. If you have SIT kayak, it is always a good thing to fish with others when you are a mile or two out in the Bay. Regardless, if the water is bad, we do not intend on venturing out to Poplar Island , that is why Coop has the backup plan for Harris Creek which is good for any kayak. Always bring your PFD. If you have a marine radio, then bring that too, so we can stay in contact easily.

To catch spots to eat for dinner or for bait to catch rockfish, you can use a top and bottom rig with number 6 hooks tipped with bloodworms or fish bite (the artificial bloodworm). For live lining a spot, you can use a treble hook on a leader line to a swivel. Then an egg sinker of a 1/2 ounce threaded on your line to your reel. For perch or reds, you can try a spinner in gold or silver with a jighead tipped with 1 or 2 inch plastic grubs. You can also use jig heads that are light in the shallows tipped with plastics or Gulp swimming mullets. You can check out other fishing reports in this forum to see what others use to catch Reds, Perch, Croakers, Rockfish, and Spots.

Comment

Looks like the wind forecast changed again in our favor. Sat winds are now predicted to be SW at 10mph during the day and 6mph at night. I suggest getting to the ramp early at

Lowes Wharf Marina
            21651 Lowes Wharf Road
            Sherwood, MD 21665
            ‎(410) 745-6684

I have not thought of a time yet, but perhaps getting there between 5 am and 5:30am. That way we can have some fishing time in before the hottest time of the day approaches. There is a 60% chance of scattered afternoon thunderstorms. This will not affect us since we will be off the water before the afternoon.

Comment

I got stuck having to work, so I am out, unless I can get out of work some how

Comment

Ok, I will be there at 5:00am so I can setup my yak. It will be an outgoing tide.

Low Tide 9:54 AM
                High High 2:34 PM
                Winds wil be 9 to 11 mph in the morning
                No scattered showers expected before noon.

From Anglers Sports Center near the Bay Bridge it is only 1hr 4 mins to Lowes Wharf, or 54 miles.

Directions:

Anglers Sport Center Ltd
                1456 Whitehall RdAnnapolis, MD 21409
                (410) 757-3442

1. Head east on Whitehall Rd
                0.2 mi
                2. Turn left onto the US 50 E/US 301 E ramp to Bay Bridge
                495 ft
                3. Merge onto US-301 N/US-50 E
                Partial toll road
                16.2 mi
                4. Take the US 50 E exit toward Ocean City
                0.3 mi
                5. Slight right onto US-50 E/Ocean Gateway
                16.3 mi
                6. Slight right onto MD-322 S
                2.0 mi
                7. Turn right onto MD-33 W/St Michaels Rd
                Continue to follow MD-33 W
                18.6 mi
                8. Turn right onto Lowes Wharf Rd
                Destination will be on the left
                0.4 mi

Lowes Wharf Yacht Club
                21651 Lowes Wharf Rd Sherwood, MD 21665

Updated List:

Coop1486
                MOC
                Walk the Plank
                Goody
                Fast Eddie
                SurfDog?

I will be meeting Goody at the Wawa on Route 50 if anyone is interested at 3:30am.
                Last edited by moc; 07-19-2013, 09:36 AM.

Comment

How did you guys do?

Comment

We had to go with Plan B due to the winds in the morning. The weatherman was off his game again. A report will be coming.....

Comment

Working...
                    X