Penn Battle 4000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn Battle 4000

Ok guys just got a penn BTL 4000 as a gift need a rod to go with it any suggestions. Take it easy don't want to break the bank already in dog house thanks for all your help. I would also like to ask this question ugly stick inshore lite rods why or why not.
    Donny B.
    OK Big Game Prowler

I have two St. Croix Triumph rods that I really love. They go for about $100 - $120 at Dicks Sporting Goods. As for the Ugly Sticks the InterCoastal model is one of my favorites. I got a couple at Walmart for about $40 each. They are all one-piece rods. I've caught some nice Bass and Snakeheads on the St. Croixs.

Comment

all i use is saint croix/shimano rods. i had 2 triumphs break, if your going for a cheap rod, get the premier. i use mojo inshore/tidemaster/ and avid inshores

Comment

I have been playing with a overboard rod med/fast for over a month now and really like it and it floats about 120 at alltackle in annapolis
        D Hawk
        Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
        Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

the ugly lites are great, but they are heavy and not very sensitive. I would go with a graphite 6'6" - 7" fast or extra fast MH rod. The st croix premier 6'6" MH would work great but is a little pricey. I think the st croix mojo is cheaper.
          Used to fish more.

Comment

I don't conventional fish much but you might want to take a look at Gary Loomis series of Rods from Temple Fork Outfitters http://www.tforods.com/
            He sold G. Loomis in 1997 but designs rods for TFO rods with a Lifetime no fault warranty. I believe Bass Pro sells them and they are around 100.00
            I am familiar and have used the TFO fly rods designed by Lefty Kreh, Flip Pallot, and Bob Clouser. They have been great rods, reasonably priced, all with a no fault warranty.

I do not represent TFO but just my 2cents.

Comment

Tough to go against the Shimano rods. They are rugged and have some of widest line rating ranges, as I have seen. Star Rods make some very light rods, almost feather weight. There is one of the 7.5' Star Rods that is just super light. You may not need a really light rod, as the Battle has a bit of weight to it. So spending extra to get a light, thin wall blank may not be necessary to get a good balance. I also like St Croix rods. I don't know what type graphite is used in their production rods. The SC4 and SC5 rod blanks are just some of the best made in my opinion. I used Loomis blanks until they stopped making them for the rod builder. Then I switched over to St Croix. That was one of the best moves for me. St Croix makes incredibly strong blanks, very good linear and hoop strength. They now use a filler, which is like no weight to maintain hoop shape during stress. I assume that they use this same process on their production rods, which would be very strong. Although, keep in mind St Croix is not some of the more inexpensive rods or rod blanks out there.

Also before you buy, take a look at one of the Wax Wing rods by Shimano. They are not one of the lightest rods but lots of quality. I just got one in at the store, and it is impressive.
              Last edited by DOGFISH; 07-18-2013, 05:30 AM.

Comment

don, i saw that red & white thing at the store, i held it and it was extremly stiff, i thought those were made for tuna fishing ?

also look at the shimano teramar rods, i got 2 and love them

Comment

I have mostly all ugly stick rods and have no complaints. They lack in sensitivity sometimes, but you can easily sense the tappy taps. I have one nice Shimano Trevala for special occasions, but I would rather splurge on the reel rather than the rod. I do have the inshore lite rod and it's probably my favorite ugly stick. I never had a rod break from a fish but many times I have shut a car door on the tips! I know I will catch flack for this, but I refuse to spend more than $50 on a rod...reels are a whole different story.
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                    Tough to go against the Shimano rods. They are rugged and have some of widest line rating ranges, as I have seen. Star Rods make some very light rods, almost feather weight. There is one of the 7.5' Star Rods that is just super light. You may not need a really light rod, as the Battle has a bit of weight to it. So spending extra to get a light, thin wall blank may not be necessary to get a good balance. I also like St Croix rods. I don't know what type graphite is used in their production rods. The SC4 and SC5 rod blanks are just some of the best made in my opinion. I used Loomis blanks until they stopped making them for the rod builder. Then I switched over to St Croix. That is one of the best moves for me. St Croix make incredibly strong blanks, very good linear and hoop strength. They now use a filler, which is like no weight to maintain hoop shape during stress. I assume that they use this same process on their production rods, which would be very strong. Although, keep in mind St Croix is not some of the more inexpensive rods or rod blanks out there.

Also before you buy, take a look at one of the Wax Wing rods by Shimano. They are not one of the lightest rods but lots of quality. I just got one in at the store, and it is impressive.
                    I just picked up a St. Croix MCB79HF Mojo Bass rod for my newest Lexa 300H outfit that I will use for the first time tomorrow- Don, I agree this is one of the highest quality production rods I have seen. The attention to detail is exceptional- a 7'9" heavy action rod and it is incredibly light- nice stiff action. I can't wait to put a big fish on this outfit to give it a good test- the Gulf Shores, Alabama snapper trip proved the toughness of the Lexa 300H and the Cabela's travel rod- the reel is a real workhorse- round reels got nothing on the 300H- so I am investing in the best rod I can afford ($130 plus tax)-
                    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-18-2013, 05:35 AM.
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                      I know I will catch flack for this, but I refuse to spend more than $50 on a rod...reels are a whole different story.

I'm with you. All I have are Ugly Stiks of various types. They get the job done and I've never felt my rods had anything to do with me not catching fish. I did just splurge on a Lexa 300 for one of them though since my ultra cheap Shakespeare is acting up now.

Comment

Originally posted by dhawk View Post
                        I have been playing with a overboard rod med/fast for over a month now and really like it and it floats about 120 at alltackle in annapolis
                        I'm with Dhawk!! Overboard 7' MH or H would work well for ya

Comment

With regard to the Wax Wing rod, it is a bit stiff. However, some folks double up the use of their rods. Some use heavy flipp'n and musky rods for salt water. No reason why that red rod could not double up to fish the bay, fish amberjack or pull bass out of vegetation. A lot of folks use 50lb test for flipp'n tackle.

Comment

Donny,

If you want price, try Wal-Mart in Laurel first, or Costco or Sam's if you're a member. The last time I was at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago I seem to recall they had some Ugly Stiks. If not they'll have something you can use that works. I know guys love their $120 plus rods and more power to 'em. The last time I was out, I dumped my favorite rod and tried everything to get it back, even swam to shore, tied up the kayak, swam back, and dove down in 18 feet of water to try to get it. That's the second rod I've lost in two seasons. So for me, it's relatively inexpensive gear that I am careful about cleaning and rinsing off with fresh water after each trip that works for me. Either that or tethers, but that's just one more thing to get tangled up in. Steve
                            Last edited by Fishinfool; 07-18-2013, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X