I'm liking the looks of this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm liking the looks of this...

This looks like it would be a great roof-top solution. I will probably get one in the near future.

http://www.maloneautoracks.com/handirack.php

The low, flat roof of my Saturn is already great...This would be a great solution to replace my bathroom rug that I used last season!
    <insert witty comment here>

I have sold those. They are a nice option, not as heavyduty as the yakima setup.

Comment

I've seen mixed reviews online, with the only negative being about water seeping in when the car is left in the rain with it installed. Have your customers been generally pleased?

I'm trying to avoid getting a "real" rack system installed.

Comment

If you are loading the torque solo is not the best option. if you have 2 people it easier to load the boat. It works better on smaller lighter boats. I have not had any issues on leakage.

Comment

Ok cool. I just ordered it. We'll see how it goes...

Comment

Well I ain't helping with loading or unloading... I'll help you to the launch though because I need help with mine! LOL

MYT

Comment

lol I perfected loading the Synergy....Im sure I'll learn how to put the torque up there solo too.

Comment

I dunno how you guys get your yaks on the roof. I have a hard enough time loading my Outback into the back of my truck.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

I went from sponge blocks to really nice roller racks. Then I went to loading the kayak into the back of my truck. However, that took up the room needed for my other equipment. That is why I went to a trailer. It is the ultimate solution. A light weight aluminum trailer also acts as a dolly, when there are no ramps. Just slide the kayak onto the trailer and hook it up. A good set of racks cost about half as much as a single kayak trailer. Save a little more and a trailer is the way to go. I cannot recommend more the Trailex brand of trailers: http://www.castlecraft.com/trailers.htm. The trailer also acts as a stand, when working on the kayak. So when all that loading gets to be burdensome, such as for us older guys, or not so old, give some thought to a trailer.

I still use racks when going to places like Ocean City, where parking is limited.

Attached Files

Comment

I think I remember seeing your trailer at the South River M&G....definitely handy. Living in a condo, my space is limited...such that trailers aren't permitted in the parking lot. My boss at my p/t job lets me keep the yak in our big shed, so its kinda perfectly tucked away.

Yak Fish,

It took a few tries to get some finesse to roof top loading. The hardest part is the lift from the ground to overhead. I stand beside the yak and yank it up off the ground and use the upperbody to raise it overhead. Once its on top of my head and balanced its not too bad. Having such a low roof line helps. I am actually lowering the yak onto the roof.

Comment

Try throwing a bathroom rug over your trunk and rear window and slide the kayak up onto the rear part of the rack. Takes a little bit to figure out where to grip the kayak to keep it from sliding off the car but once u get it down its a breeze.
                      Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Metro, why should MYT need help loading his kayak on his motorized kayak dolly.

Comment

Two of us hold his kayak in the air while the other one lifts the yaris to secure it to the bottom of the kayak.

Comment

I actually have an old jet ski trailer that I will convert into a tandem yak trailer. I get my hobie on the roof of my truck without too much of a problem. I walk it up through the bed and slide it on. Want to go to the trailer so I can leave the boat rigged unless I'm parking someplace like Hemingways.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                              Metro, why should MYT need help loading his kayak on his motorized kayak dolly.
                              I never need any help with loading her up!! Its called being green Dogfish! Don't be jealous of the mileage! LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X