Furlough equals fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furlough equals fishing

I am tired of fishing on the Potomac to the point that I have thought about selling my ride. However since I am forced to miss work I'm looking at the possibility of doing a couple of saltwater fishing trips during my Mondays of furlough. I am interested in catching some redfish on marshy areas. Does anyone know of any "productive" or want to suggest any areas within reasonable driving time I can explore? Point Lookout is on my agenda for one of those Mondays (Yet to be determined) and I will do AI from the 28 to the 30. I'm looking at expanding my options. I'm all ears fellow yakers.

PLO is a productive Potomac River fishery- Lake Conoy has speckled trout and redfish in it- and most of the areas where the reds are is wade fishing- 2 feet and less of water- sorry if I am "burning" anyones spot here, folks- but the man is talking about giving up and selling his yak- most folks pass up the best fishing spots and head out into areas that are "boat magnets"- I see it time and time again...then they bitch about the sorry fishing- we have kayaks- that gives us an unfair advantage- no motor noise and the ability to get into places powerboats can't, yet 90% of the time we see Kayakers side by side with powerboats- not that we can't fish big waters, but that isn't the advantage we have- In my trips I am fishing all by myself - no powerboats any where to be seen- and I am catching fish- 2 feet of water, sometimes less- I have caught four keeper reds in my last three trips- three of those trips were in the Potomac River...yeah, I don't advertise...not smart to have a ton of folks bombard your favorite honey hole...Walleye Pete was sitting 200 yards from me last trip with three clients bailing speckled trout, wishing he could get where I was fishing...he would not appreciate me burning that spot. My 19 1/2 inch speck was caught in 18 inches of water-

You want to get an idea of where to fish- setup a charter with Wallyeye Pete and pay attention to where you are taken...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-18-2013, 06:13 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

where are you located and how far are you willing to drive?

also, are you just fishing the same area on the potomac? try a different launch!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
        PLO is a productive Potomac River fishery- Lake Conoy has speckled trout and redfish in it- and most of the areas where the reds are is wade fishing- 2 feet and less of water- sorry if I am "burning" anyones spot here, folks- but the man is talking about giving up and selling his yak- most folks pass up the best fishing spots and head out into areas that are "boat magnets"- I see it time and time again...then they bitch about the sorry fishing- we have kayaks- that gives us an unfair advantage- no motor noise and the ability to get into places powerboats can't, yet 90% of the time we see Kayakers side by side with powerboats- not that we can't fish big waters, but that isn't the advantage we have- In my trips I am fishing all by myself - no powerboats any where to be seen- and I am catching fish- 2 feet of water, sometimes less- I have caught four keeper reds in my last three trips- three of those trips were in the Potomac River...yeah, I don't advertise...not smart to have a ton of folks bombard your favorite honey hole...Walleye Pete was sitting 200 yards from me last trip with three clients bailing speckled trout, wishing he could get where I was fishing...he would not appreciate me burning that spot. My 19 1/2 inch speck was caught in 18 inches of water-

You want to get an idea of where to fish- setup a charter with Wallyeye Pete and pay attention to where you are taken...
        Thanks ronaultmtd

Lake Conoy @ PLO.....checked. I will try this on Monday weather permitting. Thanks for the advice, as always your input is always appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
          where are you located and how far are you willing to drive?

also, are you just fishing the same area on the potomac? try a different launch!
          I'll be coming from Woodbridge, VA. I'm looking at driving no more than 1 1/2 hours to 2 hrs with the exception of the long trips I have planned ahead of time. I have launched from Leesylvania, Pohick and Fort Belvoir and it has been great, cannot complaint about that. Is better to have a place to fish than no place at all, It just that after a while catching bass and snakeheads gets kind of boring. I need more excitement!

Comment

A lot of good shallow water fishing in NoNeck. lots of creeks holding keeper pups. spex, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X