Rigging rods in advance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigging rods in advance

I've noticed that some of the forum folks take off from the launch with just one rigged rod and then change setups as conditions dictate- I carry five pre-rigged rods...all completely ready to go- no tying on lures, changing anything- just swap rods and fish- One rod has a top water popper setup and ready to cast all the time. A plus is the attention to detail and the attention to good knots by doing this sitting at the kitchen table- unless I lose a bait, I don't change a thing in the yak-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I generally fish two rods. They are always pre-rigged. If I'm out in the big boat, I make my best guess as to what I expect to use given the expected conditions, and I pre -rig up to 4 rods ahead of time. That way, when I get on the water I'm fishing and not rigging.

I generally rig so that I have the ability to cover various level of the water column. Top , middle and bottom.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I carry only 2 rods, sometimes 3 if I know I'll be targeting wperch too. I like to super glue all my striper-sized soft plastics to the jigheads the evening before. That way the glue has all night to get a death grip on the jig shank. I'll also have 4-5 soft plastics of various sizes and colors already rigged and glued on jigheads. I keep them very handy and can change-out to a different jig in seconds if need be.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I sometime carry up to 5 or 6 rods, all pre rigged. I have also started to use the Norman and/or Spro type clips on my lines, for quick change when needed. I use to be a tie direct person, but as of late, those clips sure do seem to work without loss of or a drop in the number of fish. I generally like to plan my trip and fish my plan. However, there are those times when the plan changes.

For those government types or corporate types, you know about "the plan," and how that goes.

Comment

I am unable to break the multi-rod style (habit?). As a bass fisherman when I'm in my boat having 8 - 10 rigged rods on the deck (and that many more available in the rod locker) is the norm. The kayak definitely puts a crimp on the number, but I usually have 5 - 6 on the PA-14. Kayak fishing has made me more preparation orientated, meaning that I give more thought to the area and style of fishing I plan for the day and chose rods and lures/baits accordingly. It's not like fishing in my boat, where I can run and change locations and be 15 - 20 miles away fishing entirely different water and conditions, so having a mini tackle shop aboard is somewhat justifiable. As mentioned above I also use Norman speed clips when fishing hard baits, which make changing lures quicker/easier. It's a matter of style, I do find that I'm spending more time re-tying to change baits (rather than just picking up a different rod) when using soft plastics, but the pace of kayak fishing (for me) is a much more relaxed style that I'm enjoying immensely.
          HOBIE: 2012 PA-14 (Dune) & 2013 PA-14 (Yellow)

Comment

for lures i take my 7 foot mh tidemaster & my 7 foot medium light mojo inshore , both with 15 pound braid & 3000 stradics, i put a small duo lock at the end of the leader to alow quick change of lures

Comment

ive always only brought two with me when fishing salt and just changed rig as needed, but im going to now rig up 3 ready to go. for example, one for bait, one for live lining and one for artificials. if i'm trolling 2, the 3rd can be used to cast in front or just put away there have just been times recently where i wish i could just grab a rod for a couple casts and not have to change lures

freshwater typically just one, but may bring another int he future
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                I've noticed that some of the forum folks take off from the launch with just one rigged rod and then change setups as conditions dictate-
                And what's wrong with this method?

It works very effectively if you have all the equipment you need organized and stored away in easily accessible locations. Swivels and clips, like tactical angler clips, make for very quick and easy lure changes. There's no real advantage (catch wise) to tying directly from my experiences and if you choose to tie directly, you should be good enough to tie it in all conditions outside the kitchen.

I'm not a gear junkie so, to me, the beauty and appeal of kayak fishing is it's simplicity. No offense to anybody here, but the amount of rods some people can pack onto a kayak is ridiculous. Two rods is the max I carry and I'm sure I waste no more than 10 minutes an outing changing rigs up.
                Brian

Comment

Different strokes for different folks...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Like most things in life it depends. It depends on your fishing style, what you are comfortable with and what you want to accomplish.

I always have two spinning rods rigged, one with a crank bait and one with a curly tail grub. The grub rod has 6 pound test and its action is medium/slow which aids in casting the lighter grubs. The crank bait rod has 10 pound test and its action is fast. Crank baits and grubs will catch anything I am after in the Bay and its tributaries.

With the advent of hot weather and the prospect of breaking fish I have started carrying a third spinning rod rigged with a surface lure.

Lastly, I may carry a fly rod. A Clouser minnow fly will catch the same fish that chase crank baits and grubs.

I’ll often switch rods even if I am catching fish on the present rod. I like to vary my techniques to see if my next rod choice will work. I may leave fish in the water by doing so but I’d rather catch fewer total fish and use all my rods than max out on one.

So it depends…

Mark
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

My favorite amount of rods to carry are three. I have carried more and I have carried less. But three is the sweet spot for me. With three I can have one ready for , ie, live lining, one like an ultralite with a spinner or 1/8th ounce jighead on 4-8 pound test mono, and another for Jigging larger fish. I like the rods setup in advance if possible, so I can just choose my weapon quickly without working messing with my gear and changing setups....at least I try to reduce that to a minimum.

Comment

+1 to what moc said above. I normally don't rerig out on the water. If a line snaggs and breaks off I just switch to a different rod.

Outback 2015
                        Maui

Comment

I agree to find what works for you and go for it...

I guess I've gotten so used to using the same spinner for casting every type of lure I carry, I can't imagine toting around four more just so I could cast a different lure that the original rod was equally able to cast or because I did feel like re-rigging it on the water. The only time I switch rods is when I change fishing styles. I'll go to a conventional setup for live lining, jigging, togging, or trolling bigger lures.
                          Brian

Comment

I primarily fish freshwater for largemouth and smallmouth bass. I usually fish with 3 to 5 rods and I frequently fish all day without changing the presentations I already have tied on. One wonders why I feel the need to carry a crate with 15 pounds of lures, soft plastics, etc.

One thing that works for me is to carry 3 identical baitcasting outfits (same rod, reel and line). That way when I switch from one presentation to another I will retain that exact same "feel". This improves casting accuracy, hooking and landing percentage.
                            Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
                            X