Rod repair referral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod repair referral

I snapped the tip off my one week old new rod yesterday. Anyone have a recommendation for a repair shop near Odenton, Md?
    2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
    Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

The simplest option is to go to a local tackle shop and have them place a new rod tip onto the broken off end of your rod. Obviously this will change the action and make the rod less flexible than it was before. But it allows you to keep the rod in service. You can also buy extra rod tips and keep a few around the house. I am not aware that it is possible to reattach the broken-off piece of your rod. If anyone on this board knows how to do that, I think there would be a lot of interest.

You mentioned that you rod is only one week old. Depending on the brand of the rod, you may be able to contact the manufacturer for a replacement. I did just that with a St. Croix Triumph rod last spring. On its first use, 6" broke off the end. I was prepared to send it to St. Croix and pay their repair fee. But since it was nearly new, their service department agreed to give me a new rod, and allowed me to pick it up at the local tackle shop where I purchased the original rod.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

If you didn't lose too much, you may be able to reuse the same tiptop (final guide). The glue that holds it in place is basically hot glue. Hold the guide with a pair of pliers and heat it with a lighter or match. You will burn a little epoxy off the threads which will stink, but not a big deal. Once hot, pull the broken piece out. Reheat the tip, put it into a new stick of tiptop adhesive (Available at bps as well as other places) to fill with new adhesive, then reheat and put it back on the remainder of the rod. If the blank will not go back in you will need to buy a larger sized tiptop.
      LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

If you don't want to do it yourself, try a local tackle shop or look up Ken Preston Custom Rods in Pasadena.
        LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
        Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

If it is only the very top broken, Bass Pro sells tip tops and the glue to repair them.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. I looked up the warranty on the rod and they do have an Oops policy where I can get a new one at half price if I ship the old one back. I'm thinking Ill just cut this one down another inch or so to the next guide and fix it. And order a new one. I may try it myself first, and then if I screw it up, Ill look up Ken Preston.

Comment

i can fix it if u want. i been building rods for a bit now and fixed a few friends poles. if you havent touched it yet dont and i can look at it for u to make the best call, if anything i can replace the tip top and move the next eye down so it looks even.
              Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
              -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
              -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspratt View Post
                i can fix it if u want. i been building rods for a bit now and fixed a few friends poles. if you havent touched it yet dont and i can look at it for u to make the best call, if anything i can replace the tip top and move the next eye down so it looks even.
                Thanks for the offer! I just put a new tip on it. It doesn't look new, but it works. I'll let you know when I break the next one!

Comment

Working...
                X