Question regarding light tackle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding light tackle

I have seen posts where the OP stated that they were using 1/8 oz jig or something under a bobber or something with split shot.

My question is, what type of rod/reel combo do you use to use that light of jigs etc.? I use a 1000 spinner and 10 # braid and I find that, unless I hold the line as I am reeling it in, the line gets loose and I wind up with wind knots on a cast. Because of this, the lightest jig head I have been throwing is 3/8 - 1/2 oz.

Thanks in advance,
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

One of the tricks to using braid is to extend your index finger of your rod holding hand, and to allow the line to slap against it as you retrieve line.
    It's needs the little extra resistance to cut down on the line boogers. You shouldn't over load your reel with braid. Leave about a 1/8" gap to the edge of the spool's lip.
    BTW, I hate casting a jig and bobber combo. Bobbers with a weight like a split shot or jig tend to rotate around the center of mass and are not very easy to cast with.

As to the jig size, I routinely cast 1/8 oz. and lighter jigs with a shimano 1000 series reel, and 10 lb. Sufix Braid. No extra weight should be needed if you use a light action rod. Most rods have the weights they are designed to cast with printed on the blank.

I currently recommend the Bass Pro Shop's Extreme rods. They are relatively light, have decent actions, and deliver a good bang for the buck. You can occasionally find them on sale for $69.00 or so.
    For Perching and dock hopping I am using the BPS 5'6" Crappie Rod.
    If they are too pricey, try a Berkely Lightning Rod for about $35.00 from Walmart.
    While we use Ugly Sticks for our clients on the charter boat, it is more for their relative indestructibility than their actions. Plus they are rather heavy.
    Last edited by bignose; 07-22-2013, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info, maybe I have too much line on my Shamano 1000 cause I filled it close to the edge. I do have a Berkley 7ft Lightning rod and I love it.

I am using Power Pro line. Is there any difference between Power pro and Suffix?

Regards,

John
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I changed to the Sufix because it is the only braid that comes in a bright orange color. I have used Power Pro as well.

Comment

Working...
        X