Sailing to the Land of the Pups and more adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailing to the Land of the Pups and more adventures

P7140033.jpgP7180040.jpgP7200006.jpgP7200008.jpgThis is a combo boat rigging and fishing report, so I thought it was best to put it in the Main Forum. I fished Thursday near Crisfield with Slobber Bob. It was breezy with some 2-3 footers on the rips and shoals. I just bought a Paddle Sail coming home from the last M&G. I was looking for a little help on some of the long big water trips I have planned in the future. The wind was around 12 MPH, and I was able to cruise around 3.5 MPH when I had it up. It works very well down wind and you can tack up to around 30 degrees, but it is much less efficient. It opens and closes like one of those collapsible windshield shades. Bob and I had to anchor in order to hold on a point while waiting for Ravens D. and J.C. (the wind conditions made it too hard for us to ever hookup since they put off nearby). I put on a pearl BA with a green paddle tail on my 1/4 oz. lead head jig. and got a big pull near a small tidal grass island on the point. It wound up being a beautiful keeper pup at 19.5, and it had six spots on one side, the most I have ever seen. I did not even think to check the other side as I was in a hurry to get the photo and release him. That was followed quickly by two small rock around 16". Bob was trying to hold anchor, but this cooled and we moved on. He was able to pickup some schoolies a little later. On the way back in, I was trolling under sail, and I had a hit that was stripping drag. However, by the time I released the sail and got the rod out of the holder he was gone...still waiting for my first fish under sail. On Fri. I picked up Kayak Joe and we left early Sat. morning from my house to head to Oyster for a planned 2-3 day fishing trip. Both yaks were loaded to the brim with gear, plenty of water, and big hopes. Launched with 17 kt. SW winds for the barrier islands. It was the beginning of the most intense paddling of my life. The sail was a Godsend on the first day as I averaged up to 5.5 MPH for 3/4 of the day, and Joe put in the hardest work as we logged about 16 miles before making camp. We encounter gusts close to 20 kts and 3-5 ft. waves that came from all four directions at once. We set up base camp, and Joe used his cast net while I caught spot for live lining. He was ready for the BIG sharks...tail rope, bolt cutters, etc. He was working on the small bull sharks pretty good, and I decided to toss around the speck rod with a jig and penny split tail just before the sunset. Suddenly, the Kistler bent softly and then the rod's backbone went to work. Joe is running for the net, and I have a nice 20.5 Pup on the measuring board. This was followed by a 18.5er just three casts later. We had dinner already so I released both. We called it a night, and went to sleep praying for the winds to drop. We awoke to 17 kt. WSW, and checked the marine forecast. The 40% chance of TS after 2:00 was too much, we pulled the plug on our quest, and headed back at 10AM. The wind was straight in our face, no sailing today. We were into it...3-4 footers over washing the yaks...hoping the hatch seals are tight...we are only able to average 1 MPH for the first 3.5 miles. The towers are starting to build on the clouds, and we have about 6 mi. to go. The wind eased to around 12 kt., and we able to catch a wind break from the first islands we reached after the big water crossing. Only 6 more miles to go...we heard distant thunder for the last 45 minutes as we finally reached the ramp at 4:00PM...very,very tired. The bed felt so good...even if it was still rocking with the waves Sorry for the long report, but it was a long week of kayak fishing, learned a lot, and I had a great time with my fishing buddies.
    Last edited by Hemingway; 07-22-2013, 08:38 PM.

Your photos don't show up. Does anyone else see them?
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Originally posted by zeebyrd View Post
      Your photos don't show up. Does anyone else see them?
      Don't know why there are not thumbs, but if you click on attachment they should load.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
        Don't know why there are not thumbs, but if you click on attachment they should load.
        Tried that too. Said invalid attachment. Maybe it's just me.
        Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

I am having the same problem as well the pics wont load.
          Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Sorry folks, I have reloaded them, hope you can finally see them.

Comment

Way to go Gary. Those are some nice reds. I have never seen one like that 6-spotter.

The photos are visible now.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I couldn't have put it better myself! What an everlasting experience it was that still thinking about all day long about what we could've changed but it sure was fun in an odd way! If only we coulda gotten into some more croaker... Always August...
                Malibu stealth 14 with a paddle....still lol

Comment

beautiful
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kayakjoe View Post
                    I couldn't have put it better myself! What an everlasting experience it was that still thinking about all day long about what we could've changed but it sure was fun in an odd way! If only we coulda gotten into some more croaker... Always August...
                    Definitely fun, but probably not for everyone. It was beautiful out there though. Got to respect those resident deer, some kind of tough. As far as not getting all the fishing we hoped for, the next full moon is August 21st

Comment

nice report (insert thumbs up smiley here)
                      2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
                        Sorry folks, I have reloaded them, hope you can finally see them.
                        I can see them now. Love the pics! Great report! Thanks for sharing.
                        Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

Nice report. Sounds like you guys had quite an adventure.

Outback 2015
                          Maui

Comment

Way to fish hard, guys. You're +1 in the putting in time department. It'll pay off eventually.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                            Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                              Way to fish hard, guys. You're +1 in the putting in time department. It'll pay off eventually.
                              Thanks for that, Doug. If anyone knows about putting in the time, it's you.

Comment

Working...
                              X