Visibility on the Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visibility on the Water

I have noticed how easily kayaks disappear on the water.

How much do those of you who use Visipoles or imitations of them value them?

What methods do you use to improve chances that you will be seen?

Thank you,

Mark
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

I use a Visipole, with two flags. I use a big yellow kayak with orange flags. Hope it works!

Comment

I have a visipole. Use depends on what water I am on. For the Potomac I will use it, but if I am out on the smaller reservoir I will only use it if I am on the water at first light.
      WS ATAK

Comment

I use a visipole. But I feel that its useless during the day time. If you can't see a 14' bright yellow kayak, I highly doubt you can see a black pole the girth of a fishing rod, and a small orange flag.
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Bright colored paddle blades, bright lime or yellow shirt, bright PFD(and always wearing it), and flag. I normally fly the US flag but am going to change to a lime green/yellow flag. The link below to the picture you to took of Strummerfan and myself show the visibility of our shirt color.

While fishing one day my friend told me he could see the bright colored paddle blades first at a distance.

http://www.snaggedline.com/attachmen...9&d=1374518147

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
            I use a visipole. But I feel that its useless during the day time. If you can't see a 14' bright yellow kayak, I highly doubt you can see a black pole the girth of a fishing rod, and a small orange flag.

i agree. i only use the visipole at night though. i think the pole should be a lot longer too, it's basically at head height. A tall flag can help in the atlantic, where a kayak can disappear behind swells
            sigpic

Comment

This is one area where I believe the paddle kayakers have an advantage over the pedalers. If you use brightly colored paddle blades, the up and down motion of the blades will be seen more readily and from farther away than a stationary flag. The visipoles are good for dim light or night conditions, but I don't use one for daytime paddling.

Here is an idea for a new technology for nighttime paddlers -- how about adding a strip of reflective tape on both sides of each paddle blade. Or get stick on lights (constant or flashing) for each paddle blade. There is an opportunity for a technology entrepreneur. Who knows -- maybe an in-water light source could be a fish attractant.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I know bending branches angler pro paddle has reflective material/emblem on the blades

Comment

+1 on the bright yellow paddle blades you can see them coming (or going) from a long distance. I know they make nice strobes, flashing, and/or blinking lights for bicycles that would easily attach to a paddle shaft. Bike frames and kayak paddle shafts are very similar in diameter. Not too sure how long they would last in the kayak environment though. However. they are very light and somewhat inexpensive.
                  Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Bottom line is you need to be aware of your surroundings at all times. You can take measures to try to be visible, but don't leave it up to someone else to see you. Keep look out for idiots and avoid them if possible.
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks to all for the input.

I can vouch for the yellow paddles and yellow shirts in aiding visibility.

I was looking for Raptor yesterday and his bright yellow paddles were the first hint of him I saw.

Ryan is also right that you must be alert at all times.

Mark
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Hi-vis reflective tape? e.g., solas, 3M, etc,

Comment

Definitely. I wouldn't wanna have strobe lights on my paddle either. That would kill my night vision
                          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                          X