Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kayak Take Out on the Potomac at Sandy Hook, Md.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Take Out on the Potomac at Sandy Hook, Md.?

I'm thinking of doing a float trip from above Harper's Ferry. Wondering if there is a decent take out at Sandy Hook on the Maryland side. I've been to Sandy Hook a few times fishing and tubing and have taken out with tubes there but the hill coming up to the train tracks was fairly brutal. Don't want to go that way if I can help it.

I did notice the dirt road that goes besides the railroad tracks and down under the bridge and am wondering if there is a better way out down there. Haven't ever explored that area. I do have a cart that I can take with me.

I did run across an excerpt from a book on kayaking in Va. that states DO NOT take out at Sandy Hook as the Park Service will arrest , fine and possibly seize your boat.

Then found this.
    The first takeout on the MD side is 1/2 mile downstream from the confluence of the Shenndoah River on river left immediately before the US 340 bridge at Sandy Hook. To reach this takout from Rt. 340, take the last left as you approach the 340 bridge from the MD side, then take the first right to the bottom of the hill where the road approaches the railroad tracks. The takeout is on posted railroad property and involves crossing two sets of very active tracks. Despite its dubious legality, this takeout is very popular.
    Thoroughly confused and a little afraid to try it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've fished the are once while wading down by where the Appalachain Trail crossed the rail road track just past Isreal Creek. The trail isn't too difficult but bumpy. I saw 3 guys each carrying their kayaks down the mud path and set in a nice channel along the shore. I've also seen some good info for biking the C&O trail that could give hints for food and camping.

Ben
    PigPen - Mt Airy
    Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post
      I've fished the are once while wading down by where the Appalachain Trail crossed the rail road track just past Isreal Creek. The trail isn't too difficult but bumpy. I saw 3 guys each carrying their kayaks down the mud path and set in a nice channel along the shore. I've also seen some good info for biking the C&O trail that could give hints for food and camping.

Ben
      Thanks for the info. I think I've been down there before years ago but can't quite remember. I usually go down straight across from the little store in Sandy hook straight to the river. That involves a steep climb down from the RR tracks and up the other side of the old canal before getting to the path. That's what I'm trying to avoid, hoping there is an easier way down there below the bridge. I think I know where the creek you mention is and will check it out.

Comment

Some how, the buses from the tubing companies get down there, below the main road. I see them when I return from the Knoxville Ramp and the Shepards Town Ramp. There are boat ramps all along the C&O park. You can go to the DNR boat ramp page to access where.

Comment

Working...
        X