Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reefs, wrecks, and structure

All:

Curious question. I really enjoy fishing structure. Okay, I actually enjoy catching fish in any fashion, but anchoring or drifting over wrecks and reefs are tons of fun. I am attempting to compile a list of reefs and wrecks that would be accessible by kayak.

Are there any reefs or wrecks in the maryland area (eastern shore, southern, or otherwise) that are within range for us kayakers?

Any help you can offer would be great. Thanks in advance.
    Jason

There's the Woodrow Wilson Bridge reef that's 2mi E of the mouth of St. Jerome's. I've got some numbers from Mike on my work computer, I think.

Here's a link to DNR's artificial reef page:
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/reefs/
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Airplane Wreck - Choptank

A very poplular place to fish on the eastern shore, is the airplane wreck, in Choptank, a couple miles off Tilghman Island. I have never ventured out to it in a kayak because there can be boats moving really fast through the area and many boats fishing the area. However if there was a flotilla of kayaks I am sure it would be fun. Have caught, striped bass, blues and weakfish in that area.

Wreck is marked on charts

Comment

thanks for that link bill, cedarhurst and severn are doable but cedarhurst gets a lot of boat traffic. west river and janes island look good also. they need to make the MARI markers smaller some i cant pinpoint

Comment

You can zoom in pretty far. Then you can click the marker, and it brings up a description that gives the numbers.
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

ah thats better. most are a long way out

Comment

i guess i should have asked it this way, has anyone fished a wreck or reef (locally) in their kayak? I agree, they all look pretty far away.
              Jason

Comment

Those Mari markers are off a little. The ones that are labeled for being off the West River are in the area of North Severn. If these are the reef that I am thinking of, the old South River bridge waste, that would be quite a paddle for a kayak. It used to be marked by two white pilings, one on each end of the rubble field.. The problem with these type reefs are that they are ripe with snags. I used to fish them with a slip bobber, with good sucess. I also used to set up above the reef, on a good tide change and chum. I would pull in some good fish. Most of these reefs are not in good position for kayaks, unless you have access to some of the shoreline just in from the reef. Then it may still be quite a paddle. Hey, most of these guys fish near the best man made reef in Maryland, the Bay Bridge.

If you have access to a boat. One that can take a few bumps and scratches. Sink some brush piles. When I used to have my boat, I would do that. It is a bit past primetime. However, when people put their Christmas trees out to the curb. I would pick up a truck load or two. Wire the trunks to a concrete blocks or set them into the block with some sacrete. Then find a good drop off or area near deep water and dump you brush. By spring and summer, they will hold numbers of white perch, spot, croaker and other fish. The next year you can build onto your brush pile. It is a cumlative project. This is a lesson from the southern boys, in fresh water lakes. It also works on the bay and creeks. I have not been back to the area where I used to sink mine, but I'm sure there are still some tree trunks left. Everything is biodegadable or concrete, no harm to the water. You will have your own private honey hole. Unless you tell anyone else. You can also place your brush pile within good paddle distance.
                Last edited by DOGFISH; 01-23-2011, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by longislandtomd View Post
                  i guess i should have asked it this way, has anyone fished a wreck or reef (locally) in their kayak? I agree, they all look pretty far away.
                  You and I were close to the one out in front of St. Jerome's. We were the right distance out, just too far south.

The two by Point Lookout are also within relatively easy reach. I've fished that area before I knew it was reef and caught lots of nice blues and a few stripers. Croaker hang out there, too. It's not that far of a paddle if you launch from the end of the causeway. I've been out there since I got my fish finder, but I didn't see anything on the bottom. I didn't have a GPS, though, so I might've missed it.
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I really want to try and find some near-shore wrecks this summer and do some bottom fishing or spear fishing... I think there is one off Hatteras that is very close to the beach and I scouted some remnants of a pier in Topsail that looked like a promising snagfest. I caught some flounder in the drop next to it the year before, but this year it was tough fishing from the surf and it was one of those days where the hangover + the crowd on the beach + the size of the waves made launching in my kayak a bad idea. I went and fished the sound and caught some flounder at the outflow of a tidal creek but messed up my timing on the tide and didn't find any reds or trout like I really wanted.

I'm planning on spending a week in topsail this summer so I am hoping to explore more while I'm down there.
                    Used to fish more.

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                      You and I were close to the one out in front of St. Jerome's. We were the right distance out, just too far south.

The two by Point Lookout are also within relatively easy reach. I've fished that area before I knew it was reef and caught lots of nice blues and a few stripers. Croaker hang out there, too. It's not that far of a paddle if you launch from the end of the causeway. I've been out there since I got my fish finder, but I didn't see anything on the bottom. I didn't have a GPS, though, so I might've missed it.

Maybe that would be a good place for the June M&G. I think it was to be in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                        I really want to try and find some near-shore wrecks this summer and do some bottom fishing or spear fishing... I think there is one off Hatteras that is very close to the beach and I scouted some remnants of a pier in Topsail that looked like a promising snagfest. I caught some flounder in the drop next to it the year before, but this year it was tough fishing from the surf and it was one of those days where the hangover + the crowd on the beach + the size of the waves made launching in my kayak a bad idea. I went and fished the sound and caught some flounder at the outflow of a tidal creek but messed up my timing on the tide and didn't find any reds or trout like I really wanted.

I'm planning on spending a week in topsail this summer so I am hoping to explore more while I'm down there.
                        i know some guys in DE the yak out to the wall at CHSP and spear for tog, sheepshead and rock. Doug does some spearing also.

Comment

that sounds good, i have a hand held gps and can find that spot

Comment

Working...
                          X