I Need A Good MicroLight Reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need A Good MicroLight Reel

I'm looking for a micro light combo that I can use both salt and fresh .

Thanks for the help

I have two.

One I highly recommend . One I don't recommend.

I have one from BPS. It is a Pro Qualifier PQ10 . I've had it for two seasons now and it isn't that great. It has a very weak bail spring, and the line roller has corroded. This is a little larger than my other light reel. I spool this with 6 lb line.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...duct/10205014/

The one I like is a Pfleuger President. I is a year old and performing very well. It is not expensive. Mine is the 6920 size which is the smallest. I spool mine with 4 lb line.

http://www.basspro.com/Pflueger-Pres...duct/10213341/
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I don't know if this qualifies as a microlight reel, but I fish year-round with three Shimano Stradic 1000 reels. They are incredibly smooth and hold up well in brackish water. I give them a quick rinse with the hose after each use. I spool two of them with 8-lb mono (on 6' ultralights) and the third with 10-lb Powerpro (on a 6' light rod). These are my standard pickerel rigs during the winter and are used for perch, rockfish, LMBs, in the rest of the year.

Stradics are not cheap, but if you cast a lot like I do, you will appreciate their smoothness.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

believe me, all of my heavier tackle is expensive stuff, shimano saros and stradics on saint croix rods.

but my 2 perch rods are a shakepeare micro light and a shimano siena 500 on a 5.5 foot saint croix triumph ultra light rod. the sienna is about 30 dollar and its a great little reel

Comment

I can recommend a Penn 430ssg. It has handled everything I've thrown at it so far and I tend abuse my gear. A quick freshwater rinse when I'm done for the day and a greasing at the end of the year is all I've ever done with it and it hasn't given me a problem yet.
          Brian

Comment

Working...
          X