2nd time out, 1st hard lesson learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd time out, 1st hard lesson learned

Free $250 rod/reel in the bush river not too far from flying point if anyone can find it.

Talk about a painfully quick lesson.
    Mike

That stinks, but atleast there is now one good thing in the bush river!
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Should look into one of the fancy fishfinders with the stereo vision. Sharp enough to see a rod on the bottom. I lost my rod first trip out with $130 reel but was able dredge it up with my anchor on the second trip. Been making my own leashes with paracord since.
      PigPen - Mt Airy
      Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

I will definitely start leashing pretty soon. No idea how the rod pulled out of the holder when I grabbed the one I wanted. The reel crank must have gotten caught or something.

I was probably 300+ feet from shore but at least have a power line as a very poor landmark. Might go out on a low tide and walk around trying to find it. At high tide today it was probably only 4 feet out there.
        Mike

Comment

I lost a favorite spinning rod a couple weeks back and it's no fun. Sunday, I just did a poor man's tether with crab line string I carry in my larger tackle box; tied one end to the reel and the other to a strap hole near my seat. It beats losing a rod.

Comment

Blakemore Rod Floats or DIY w/foam pipe insulation
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN3pyLWSkeY

Comment

Can totally relate. Have a brand new $200 set up sitting on the bottom below the Conowingo Dam. Could have cried as I watched it sink to the bottom
              Nick Merrill
              Wilderness Systems Ride 115

"My goal is to someday be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

You guys are starting to make me nervous! I might have to start using those leashes I made last fall...
                LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

My deepest sympathies go out to you at this time of your loss.

And to think my heart was beating heavily when I almost lost a set of
                  fish pliers that I didn't have a leash attached to them a month ago.

I can't imagine how you felt loosing such a beautiful rod and reel.
                  I'd be heart broken with my most expensive set up at $60...

Best wishes on you next outing maybe the fish will reward you with a happier trip.

Comment

I now have two overboard rods in my arsenal and I had hoped to never test their floating capability out. Last time I was at the bay bridge I accidentally knocked my overboard 7' casting rod with my Shimano Calcutta into the drink. It floated like a champ and was able to recover it. I definitely recommend looking into them if you're in the market for a new rod.
                    Shane
                    Hobie Outback

Comment

Well, I try to feel better about it by thinking it was my Ugly Stick with a heavier salt water Stradic on it that I only paid 1/2 price for... Happy it wasnt my St Croix with the lighter reel.

I went out today with one of those wired up surf fishing sinkers (bent the wires to turn them into hooks) but no luck. I learned today how deceiving it is to THINK you know where you are when your 300+ feet out from shore. Even had my wife on shore again today trying to put me in the right spot, and she wasnt even remotely close to where I thought I was.

Made a couple marker buoys before I went out. Boy I wish I had those yesterday... Also found that an iron work out plate on paracord makes for quite a cheap and easy anchor.
                      Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X