Good to be back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good to be back!

Welp, after spending six months in the sandbox, it feels good to have my feet back on 'murican soil. After a lil quality time with the wife, I grabbed a rod headed right to the little pond at the end of my neighborhood. Few casts with a booyah frog and ended up with this lil guy.

After hearing all the good reports on rockfish below the Conowingo Dam, I met a few friends there Friday morning. We got there kinda late, around 0800 and it seemed like we missed the morning topwater bite. Floated down and paddled up a few times, with only a few white perch here and there. And then the bad luck started.

While attempting a back hand cast, my rattletrap got caught on the tip of my brand new veritas, attached to my brand new BPS pro qualifer, startled me, and I flung that bitch directly into the water. By the time I realized what happened, the rod was ten feet behind me and sinking fast. The do or die moment of jumping in to save it passed by pretty quick and I watched it disappear forever beneath the surface.

I paddle up to my buddy who was anchored up near the tip of the island. He too was all kinds of pissed, as he had gotten his iPhone wet, which ceased to work, and had just looked down to see his wedding ring was gone. Fishing karma it seemed was not in our favor.

The lost and broken items aside, it was a beautiful morning to be on the water, and we got some pretty good pics.

Trying to redeem ourselves a little bit, we hit up another spot just north of the dam. Again, pretty slow fishing, but I managed to reel in a smallie, on my newly acquired technique of a senko and a zip tie.

I did end up going home and ordering a new rod and reel, along with 6 rod floats. Thinking it may not be a bad idea to invest in some leashes as well.

I had my last day of admin leave to burn yesterday, and a buddy who is getting affected by the furlough, so we decided to try below the dam again, but to float the river the rest of the way down to Port Deposit. He parked his truck down in Port, me at the dam. We got there around 0545, and tried for stripers again. I did manage one little guy, but no keepers.

After an hour or so, we decided to start the drift down, casting into eddies and through the shoots. I stuck with a white three bladed spinnerbait for the majority of the day. Pulled in a couple dinks, a suprising few water perch, and then ended up with a pretty good size bronzie.

Finished the float down to Port, loaded up, and went to collect my truck. Upon arriving, I noticed one of my wind shield wipers pulled up. After a closer inspection, I saw a ton of large bird foot prints and bird shit all over my truck, including the hood, roof, and rails along the bed, weather stripping ripped out, and nice scratches in the paint to go with it all. Right next to my truck was a tree filled with what I thought were turkey buzzards, each of whom seemed to be glaring at me. Dunno what I ever did to the Susky River, the Conowingo Dam, or Fishermans Park, but they seemed keen on getting even with me.

Regardless, it felt great to be back on the water, rod in hand, and I can't wait to do it again.
    Nick Merrill
    Wilderness Systems Ride 115

"My goal is to someday be the person my dog thinks I am."

Nice pictures. Sorry about all the bad luck though!
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Nick,

Welcome home and thank you for your service.

Turkey vultures are known to chew on car trim and roof shingles.

No doubt your return to your car interrupted their fun.

Mark
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I've seen the vutures on cars at fishermans park before. They seem to pick one out at go at it. Leaving the other cars alone for another day. I'm not sure why. Both times I witnessed them doing this it was a dark SUV. Both times I saw them I scared them off but they came right back.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Welcome Home!! I think the dam is a bad omen...worst day ever on the yak was at the Conowingo Dam. It's cursed till you get to deer creek!
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Working...
          X