Making Rods Float

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Rods Float

Does anyone have an easy way to make their rods float if dropped overboard? Looking for something that would be comfortable to use. End product should be well-balanced and comfortable to hold while fishing all day in a kayak. I know that Overboard Rods sell rods that are built to float, but I'm only trying to find some way to make my current rods float.
    Thanks,

Bruce

Blakemore rod floats. BPS and Cabelas both sell them.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
      Blakemore rod floats. BPS and Cabelas both sell them.
      I would be putting these on spinning rods. I normally hold the rod such that my index finger is above the cork handle and resting lightly on the rod blank. This enables me to feel the bites better. Hence I'd have to attaché this type of float a little higher on the rod blank to allow room for my finger on the rod itself. Do you think this would still provide decent balance and not interfere with the line during casts?

Comment

I went for the combo leash/float version. I have a about an 8' piece of cord tied to a crab float that I was intending to tie to the foot of a spinning reel...never got around to trying it, but I made a couple. I also considered placing a small screw-in eyelet in the butt of the rod to tie it to. I find that I don't usually stick the rod butt into my gut while in the yak. The plan was to have the float and cord sitting in my lap while fishing.
        LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
        Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

+1 on the Blakemore floats. They sell a 6" and an 8" to use, depending on the size and weight of your gearl. I have an 8" on a spinning rod that is shorter and it works great. You can adjust the tightness on these and should be able to use them for any rod you want to. Having them on there is great as I don't have to worry about my gear heading to the bottom.
          WS ATAK

Comment

From the looks of these, they will not work with low profile baitcasters. Any experience?

Comment

I have been using one on a rod where I have a bass pro extreme low profile and haven't had any issues at all with the line catching or rubbing the float.
              WS ATAK

Comment

Good to know, thanks.

Comment

I heard of people wrapping the float in electrical tape to compact the foam. Any thoughts on this approach?
                  Cuda 14
                  Big tuna

Comment

I use a Blakemore float on a bait cast rod with a Curado low profile reel. There is absolutely no line interference from the float. (And none on my spinning rods or fly rod either.) I've had no need to use electrical tape. The Velcro works just fine. I like the Velcro also because I remove the floats after every saltwater trip and soak down my rods and reels with fresh water from the hose. If the floats were taped on it would be a hassle to remove them.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Pool Noodles work too

Comment

Working...
                      X