New Member (Foursteps24)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
    This summer I'm offering kayak towing service with the Torque. $2 per foot of kayak length...per quarter mile.
    i charge 3.00 when your bat. dies

Comment

touche! LOL!!
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I've got two batteries. I'm like the energizer geezer!

Geezer, I just can't shake that one. I don't feel like a geezer.

Comment

neither do i on the good days

Comment

Hey welcome on! FYI...I go crabbing out of my kayak. It sounds like you may be into that as well. I have some posts describing how I run a trotline on it. You will love your new ride. Getting out on the bay on a kayak is unlike anything else.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

I really do want to try Crabbing from my kayak. I have about 20 topless traps fir when I go to the Severn pier or choptank but plan to buy some ring traps when using the yak. Maybe we can hook up sometime and do some Crabbing but of course we will definately fish.

Comment

Welcome Foursteps... took you long enough!! LOL

MYT

Comment

Running a trot line from a kayak sounds interesting. I imagine it would be fairly challenging to dip'em, dump'em and keep'em in the yak all in quick succession.
                  Digital Livewell

Comment

If you go back far enough on the forum. Last summer there was considerable discussion about crabbing from kayaks. The discussions were probably in July and August. The crabbing last summer was good.

Comment

Already found it, good information. I'm wondering if there would not be a way to fashion line guides/rollers on the kayak to assist with tracking straight down the trotline?
                      Digital Livewell

Comment

I can totally see myself falling out trying to dip a crab as it lets go of the bait lol.
                        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

It's actually not too hard to stay on the line. If you keep the rudder in one hand and tuck the net under your other arm you can do it with a Hobie. I strap the bushel basket to the front to dump the crab quickly. The hardest part is staying organized so that you can lay your line down and pull it in easily.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                          Alan

Comment

For the new guys or any others, Kayak Fishing Magazine has a free online subscription. This may be another source of information. They have alot of reviews of equipment and of kayaks. It is a good read. You can do a google search to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                              I can totally see myself falling out trying to dip a crab as it lets go of the bait lol.
                              I am a trap guy. The fun part is when a crab gets loose in the kayak. Things happen quickly. In between checking the traps, I do some fishing and have a beer. With traps, to wait a little longer will allow the larger crabs to run the smaller crabs off of the bait. For anyone using traps, check out some of my discussions last summer about using springs in the bottom of the traps to secure the bait. That is a time saver when baiting and when refreshing your bait when out in the kayak.

Metro: Now you have the electric kayak, that makes it a hands free operation.

As far as line guides, yes, they can be made of pvc. There were also discussions and photos last summer.

Comment

that was the deciding factor in buying my PA was that it seemed perfect for crabbing ......... can't imagine running a trot line though ......... seems like it the weight and tension of the trot line would would tend to tip a yak ..... especially if there was wave action ..........

I think traps will be fun .......... I'll just make sure I wear my armored jock incase 1 gets loose

Comment

Working...
                                X