Winter recon: Liberty Reservoir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter recon: Liberty Reservoir

As suggested by my previous posts, I am fishing waters that are closer to home in 2011. That's the plan anyway.

I've gathered a tremendous amount of information about the targeted body of water (that I've fished before, but was not as effective as I should have been).

I recently discovered (with the assistance of a locally purchased map) that in the 1980's DNR experimented with the placement of several inland artificial reefs. These reefs were placed in Liberty reservoir. My map has the locations, but I am wondering if anyone has actual GPS numbers for the artificial reefs on the reservoir?

The reefs were established over 20 years ago and I am concerned that, even with a fishfinder they might be hard to find because they are silted over. The only info that I can find on the artificial reefs suggests that they were a universal failure, but I am still intrigued by the idea. [EDIT: Their location suggests that if they are still viable, they can be targeted during the pre&post spawn].

Below is some info from DNR:

"An example of reef development in inland waters can be found in Liberty Reservoir, a nontidal drinking water supply reservoir just west of Baltimore City in Baltimore County. Liberty Reservoir is a steep-sided, clear impoundment relatively devoid of structure. Because of this, it was considered a prime candidate for fish habitat enhancement through creation of artificial reefs.
    During the mid-80s, a variety of aquatic reefs were constructed and placed into the Reservoir. They included benthic reefs composed of concrete pipe for species such as channel catfish; brush piles for schooling fish such as yellow perch, crappie and sunfish; and suspended structures using black locust (an extremely durable and locally plentiful hardwood) attached to wire cables at various depths for large predators such as striped bass. The latter drew clouds of baitfish to the sanctuary of suspended locust branches. In turn, the concentrated availability of baitfish attracted large striped bass to the structure.
    Efforts in inland waters have been most successful when implemented on a smaller, simpler scale. Christmas trees wired together and placed into smaller lakes and ponds have yielded a quick response in attracting fish, whereas other labor intensive experiences may be largely unsuccessful. The Liberty Reservoir project required a great deal of manpower and time, yet the materials placed attracted only a modest number of fish and feedback from recreational anglers was lukewarm in terms of their success."
    Jason

I wish those passes + out of state licenses were cheaper. Sounds like a great place!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I don't know specifically about liberty, but piney run is probably out your way as well. My buddy went to a seminar they had at piney run that talked specifically about submerged structure in the lake and where to find it. You may want to see if liberty has the same kind of seminars or perhaps check the one out at piney run. I've been to piney run a few times and it seems to be a really good fishery.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

For anyone following along at home, I emailed Marty Gary at DNR. His response is below:

"It's refreshing to hear from someone who took notice of our previous work. Thanks for your inquiry. I oversaw the reef/habitat augmentation project at Liberty over.........hmmmm........20 years ago? Wow! At the time we buoyed many of the sites, but as I recall, ice took its toll and they did not last long. We tried suspended locust trees, and concrete culvert pipe at multiple locations. Locust was chosen for it's durability, but I doubt even that type of wood could persist over two decades immersed in the waters of that impoundment. The concrete was placed on the first point south of the Rt. 26 bridge. That area is off limits to boats. The other location for the concrete was the first cove north of Oakland Point. I will tell you for an oligotrophic body of water, at the time the suspended trees worked very well. panfish would mass in several of the suspended cuttings of locust, and I personally observed large stripers feeding around these structures.

Regarding the electrofishing surveys, I've copied Charlie Gougeon of our inland fisheries division. Charlie can hopefully provide you with the status of Liberty's surveys. I certified several of the state record striped bass that came out of that impoundment in the mid to late 90s. It does appear the boom of big fish diminished several years ago. Maybe Charlie can help shed some light on what is happening based upon more recent surveys"

I havent head from Charlie yet, but I will let you know what we come up with.
        Jason

Comment

I'd like to fish Liberty by boat this year. It's not the fee that get's me, it's signing the affidavit stating that your boat will only be used there.
          Digital Livewell

Comment

im fortunate that i have a second kayak....
            Jason

Comment

Working...
            X