Bush River Crabbing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush River Crabbing?

Has anyone been crabbing on the Bush River? Never crabbed besides with string and chicken necks from a pier. I just picked up 9 stackable traps and really anxious to get them wet. I've had them for weeks, but every time I think about a maiden voyage I decide to fish instead! Until I catch a crab...fishing is going to overrule all crabbing expeditions.

I would rather stay within a few miles of launch site which would be the Flying Point Park area and was wondering if that area was worth it? I have seen active traps at Jonas Green but I was trying to stay close. I could always fish for some rock and lay traps at the same time in the Severn, but if I have crabs in my back yard it would only make sense to stay close.

Another question, crabbing etiquette? I know the 100ft rule from the DNR website but I have seen traps in the middle of high traffic areas. I have also seen traps blocking homeowners piers entrances and exits to the water. Personally I think this is wrong, maybe I am just too well-mannered. Are there grey areas to this issue?

Anyway....Thanks in advance for the comments!
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

I crabbed there as a kid a few times with my dad launching from flying point. I think your best bet would be head down river past the train bridge and set you traps on the edge of the channel (6-7 fow). My dad said he heard some are starting to show up there. Let us know how you do!
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I hear crabbing is picking up there. I caught some crabs there last year off a pier in only 4-5 feet of water. Also caught a 23" rock fish off the same pier in the heat oh the summer! Good luck!

Comment

Working...
      X