Need tips on Mattawomen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need tips on Mattawomen

Made a last minute decision to head to mattawomen early in the morning. 1st time going there.
    tried to do a search for some info but the search engine doesnt seem to be working right.

Putting in at mattingly and wondering which direction I should head. I'm assumming farther up the creek??

Any tips on good areas to fish and what lures and techniques to use would be much appreciated.

If anyone else will be out there, we'll (me and my GF) be in a yellow outback and a grey pompano 120 wandering around looking for fish throwing frogs, poppers and baby brush hogs.
    Gimme a shout!!
    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

Guess it is too late to reply with any tips so I will wish you good luck and good fishing.
    http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
    484-459-9863
    If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
    *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

Its never to late...lol

I planned on checking in here when i got there and during the day on my phone but it wasnt necessary I guess cause i did OK.

I'll post a report later.

Even know i caught fish, would still love to get some tips on fishing there.
      Beautiful place ..... I plan to make alot more trips there in the future.
      2013 PRO ANGLER 12
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Fish high tide and deep in the pads w/frogs .......... they tend to move toward the edges in the evening and when the tide is falling ......... make sure you hit all the pockets in the pads you can ........... on the open water ......... poppers and whatever you fish for bass .......... use a stout rod with a sensitive tip if you can and heavy braid ........ jus sayin

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
          Fish high tide and deep in the pads w/frogs .......... they tend to move toward the edges in the evening and when the tide is falling ......... make sure you hit all the pockets in the pads you can ........... on the open water ......... poppers and whatever you fish for bass .......... use a stout rod with a sensitive tip if you can and heavy braid ........ jus sayin
          Is that advice mainly for the snakeheads? The underwater vegetation was so thick coming all the way up to the surface in and around weedlines and pads it was almost impossible to find any open pockets although thats where i got the snakehead. Was only a 3 foot circle right up against a weedline that I cast to. I didnt venture to far back in the pads. It was so thick i didnt even need to anchor. Just moved my kayak to the edges and the under water vegetation held me in place. I was afraid to go back to far with the falling tide and get stuck. couple times had to pull the outbacks rudder up and pull the drive to even paddle out off the stuff. Looking at the structure at the old mill, It looked like the water level had dropped about 2 feet during the day.

By the way what is the under water vegetation called? that stuff is thick. looks like under water bushes...lol

We got there 2 hours before high tide and so rode the current up river fishing along the way. Then had a falling tide the rest of the day. Headed back up to the ramp with the last of the outgoing current and had a slight breeze with us so just drifted the edges all the way back down to the ramp. couldnt have asked for a better day... except for more fish..lol but hopefully that will come with more experience.
          2013 PRO ANGLER 12
          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Fishing the pads isn't easy fishing. We don't run our kayaks into the pad fields but sit outside and cast into them. We use 4.5" - 5.5" hollow bodied swim baits (weightless), 30# (or heavier) braid and a stout rod. Toss the HBSB 8' or 10' back in the pads, let it set, then start pulling it back out with pauses after you pull it free of a pad. Work the baits through the pad stems as best you can, hitting as many gaps or pockets as possible. You could also use a buzz frog, hollow frog, or fluke, but we do best with the HBSB. You will see open areas between and behind some of the pad beds, the buzz frog or hollow frog works there. High tide you could run the buzz frogs (Horny Toad, Rage Toad, etc.) parallel to the front of the pads, but that hasn't been as productive for us. For that style of fishing you really need a MH 7' rod or heavier/longer as you prefer, and braid is a must.

Check this link for a tip for rigging the HBSB (and buzz frog, too), they tend to pull down the hook being dragged through those pads. I tried the screw lock hooks, and had the screw pull out a plug of plastic from the nose making the bait useless. This method works very well for the style we use in the Mattawoman pad fields.
            http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=38701
            Last edited by bruce19365; 08-13-2013, 12:31 AM.
            HOBIE: 2012 PA-14 (Dune) & 2013 PA-14 (Yellow)

Comment

great info... Thanks alot!
              Have never used HBSB's or buzz frogs. Guess i have some more tackle to bye.
              Im using my LTJ gear right now. Medium extra fast rod with shimano stradic 2500 with 20# power pro with 20# flouro leader.
              time to pick up some heavier braid and some beefier rods i guess. Will the stradic 2500 or a curado baitcaster be ok with a medium heavy rod for pad fishing?
              Or do I need a beefier reel and a heavy rod?

cant wait to get back out there.

Originally posted by bruce19365 View Post
              Fishing the pads isn't easy fishing. We don't run our kayaks into the pad fields but sit outside and cast into them. We use 4.5" - 5.5" hollow bodied swim baits (weightless), 30# (or heavier) braid and a stout rod. Toss the HBSB 8' or 10' back in the pads, let it set, then start pulling it back out with pauses after you pull it free of a pad. Work the baits through the pad stems as best you can, hitting as many gaps or pockets as possible. You could also use a buzz frog, hollow frog, or fluke, but we do best with the HBSB. You will see open areas between and behind some of the pad beds, the buzz frog or hollow frog works there. High tide you could run the buzz frogs (Horny Toad, Rage Toad, etc.) parallel to the front of the pads, but that hasn't been as productive for us. For that style of fishing you really need a MH 7' rod or heavier/longer as you prefer, and braid is a must.

Check this link for a tip for rigging the HBSB (and buzz frog, too), they tend to pull down the hook being dragged through those pads. I tried the screw lock hooks, and had the screw pull out a plug of plastic from the nose making the bait useless. This method works very well for the style we use in the Mattawoman pad fields.
              http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=38701
              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I fish Pohick all the time and I'm guessing it is very similar. I use a 6'6" Med Action Spinning rod and a 2500 Size reel. Some are loaded with 30# Power pro, the latest purchase a stradic ci4 2500 is loaded with 15 Stren Braid. I don't use any leader material, I tie straight off to my braid. Earlier in the year I fished a lot of buzz baits, but those stopped working back in July. I now fish a Stanley Ribbit frog rigged weedless. Last friday I got a TON of bites and several fish from deep in the lily pads. Rigged weedless the ribbit will just bounce through the pads with very few snags. Makes for an interesting time getting a fish out of the pads though.
                Jeff
                Life's Short, Fish Hard
                Malibu X-Factor
                Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

Precisely my point with suggesting the MH or H rod - you can pull a plastic bait, rigged weedless, through the stuff with lighter tackle but once a fish is on (which is the object of casting lures in there) getting it out of the vegetation is easier with the heavier tackle. I like lighter tackle (finesse) fishing, but it does not suit me for fishing the pad fields. This is solely the opinion of the poster and not necessarily endorsed by the Snaggedline Kayak Fishing network...
                  HOBIE: 2012 PA-14 (Dune) & 2013 PA-14 (Yellow)

Comment

I would suggest a reel with a heavier drag and at least a medium heavy or heavier rod. The lighter rods are ok when fishing outside the pads for average fish but you would be very lucky to get a 10 lb + snakehead out of the pads. You should have enough power in the rod and the drag to bull them straight to you or they will wrap you tight. I try to use 50 lb up braid to cut through the stiff if necessary. Also the tip should be light enough to make the frog dance because you have to find out what turns them on. The last time there, they would not take a solid frog buzzed over the pads ....... they wanted a hollow frog of a medium size danced by moving them in about 1" kicks for a couple of feet them rest and repeat. That's how Lou was getting the hits and I didn't get a hit till I copied his technique. Other times they want a buzzfrog or something else

Comment

Working...
                    X