1/26 Question of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/26 Question of the Day

Milk Crate with extra rod holders, yes or no? Why?

I got away from a milk crate with rod holders. I have found that two rods on the boat are enough, anymore they tend to get in the way/tangled.

I keep most gear in the side pockets of the revo, (lip gripper, hook remover, tape measure, pliers, small first aid kit etc.

Tackle is kept in the built in tackle box or a tackle binder that I clip in behind the seat. One small cooler for drinks and/or nightcrawlers if I bring them.

If I bring an anchor I use milk crate, for anchor and line.

I use a milk crate with rod holders because it's an easy place to mount my light. I use a Crate Mate, Jr., which has a lot of pockets for stuff. I carry way too much, so I tried toning it down last year. However, I bought a bunch of lures last year, which has the opposite effect.

I carry three rods and sometimes a net. The net goes in the right side rod holder on the crate, one rod goes on the left side holder, another rod goes in the holder that's built into the yak on the left side, and I'm holding the other rod or trolling with it. When I'm flounder fishing, I rest the net on the bow and secure it using a couple magnets that are usually used for attaching nets to fly fishing vests.

Despite my spastic nature, I haven't had much trouble with tangles. However, I have tangled the Mirage Drive with my line which was also tangled with the anchor while in some quick current and big waves at St. Jerome's. That was one of my finer moments.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

A milk crate doesnt sit nicely on my Outback so I dont use a milk crate, but then again i have three additional scotty rod holders built in. On my mini x i use a milk crate.

The real question is "do i carry too much gear?" Absolutely! I think the bigger the body of water that i am fishing the more stuff that i think i need. Its shameful really. I rarely use all of it, but i feel better knowing that i have it "just in case."
      Jason

Comment

Originally posted by longislandtomd View Post
        A milk crate doesnt sit nicely on my Outback so I dont use a milk crate, but then again i have three additional scotty rod holders built in. On my mini x i use a milk crate.

The real question is "do i carry too much gear?" Absolutely! I think the bigger the body of water that i am fishing the more stuff that i think i need. Its shameful really. I rarely use all of it, but i feel better knowing that i have it "just in case."
        Ditto. I havent spent much time on the bay yet but the last few times i brought 2 trolling rods and two jigging rods, and three plano boxes. one for softplastics/jigheads, one hardplastics, and a box of metals. i keep picturing putting in a shotgun holder in the back/middle to troll a 3rd rod and also carrying another rod for topwater. overkill, you bet. when i find out i cant paddle more than .5mph ill start dumping stuff.
        Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Depends. In my Ascend FS10 I was using the rear tank well as a live well so never had a place for a crate. Most of my tackle I carry in the pockets of my PFD or some extra stuff in a softside case tucked behind my seat. With my OC trident 15ft I am going to have to retool and decide what I want to do. I will have to figure something out for keeping spot alive and still keep some room for storage so the crate might be back. Usually carry three rods but will probably up it to four using the trident and milk crate since I prefer just to change rods then to retie a lure. Good fishin

Comment

The crate keeps the rods out of the way. It fits well into the tankwell. I use one of the longer rectangle type commercial crates, so it holds alot. I use three rod holders on that, and I have two extensions into the flush mount rod holders. So that gives me room for 5 rods. On some occasions, I have 5 rods with me. I keep the two trolling rods in the extended flush mount holders, when not trolling. I have four mounts for Scottys up front, differing positions. I like the crate and the extended rod holder because they keep the rods and reels up further away from the saltwater. Now freshwater situations are another story. There are situations where the upright rods get in the way of tree branches and other overhangs. I keep all of my tackle in the crate. I use the plano clear waterproof tackle boxes, with the crate as my organizer. I am one for taking alot of tackle. It always seems that if I don't, I don't have what I need when I need it. If I need something, I sit side saddle and get into the crate. That is a bit more difficult in the colder weather with waders. I also have one rod holder at the rear of the crate for my visapole, which is another reason for the crate.

Nothing is more annoying to me, as to have to stpp and re-rig another line when I come across breaking fish or the like. I like to have several lures rigged for differing situations. This probably goes back to my bass fishing days. All of this is why I am thinking of getting a ProAngler, more room. I just can't seem to find a deal on the yellow hull. Patience is not one of my better virtues, and imagine that, I fish.

Comment

Depends on what I am doing... If I'm covering distance and may encounter different species and approaches, I'll bring the crate so I can bring more tackle and rods. I agree that it is much easier to just grab another rod instead of re-rigging. Example, summertime around the bridge and I'm not planning on live-lining exclusively- I want a rod for jigging, a rod for bottom fishing, probably want to keep some metal on one rod in case blues pop up, and then possibly another rod to troll or if things are slow, live-line with. If I'm live-lining I keep my spare rods in the rod pod so I don't snap them off if I go under a support or next to them.

If I'm going out with a specific purpose, I can usually get down to one plano box and I strap that on my modpod, but it's hard. If I bring the crate I bring too much! If I'm live-lining and I need the 5 gallon bucket for a live-well then I'll ditch the crate and put some jigs/tins in a plano upfront and then put a leader wallet with extra circles, swivels, and weights in the small area behind my seat. I need to really go through stuff this winter and make a box or two of lures that I'll reach for on the water, not jut at home when I'm making the box up if that makes sense.
              Used to fish more.

Comment

I've been a minimalist in my short experiences last year. I will probably try to just stick to plano boxes, as I would prefer to have easy access to the motor, need be.
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I DO like to have designated duty rods to avoid tying different rigs though...
                  <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I really don't need it for rods ......... I can carry 10 rods right now ....... might use it to hold an anchor and the kitched sink though but it will probably only be used on some occassions ........

Comment

i use my crate all the time, it has 3 rod holders now going to add 3 more this winter on the other side to hold stuff like nets and lights. i put my ice cube cooler in it to keep beverages and bait fresh. only bring 2 rods, 1 for jigging and 1 for bottom bouncing. i keep snap swivels on the main line and on my lures and jigs i tie fluorocarbon leaders so its easy to swap out different rigs. i keep all my tackle in plano boxes that fit in the center hatch where i can get to them easily or in my fishing vest. i put non slip carpet pad on the bottom inside the hobie to keep the boxes from sliding around too much.

the tank well on the revo isnt very well thought out, with the slope on the hatch and the reclining position of the seat if you dont position the crate as far back as possible you hit it with your back. im going to mount it as far back as possible using 1" nylon web and buckles, bungees just dont hold it where i want it
                      Last edited by surfdog; 01-26-2011, 05:09 PM.

Comment

In the back well of my BPS 12ft FS12T Ascend SOT, I use a milk crate and being somewhat new to this sport called kayak fishing, I want to think that I use it because I need it. I think the truth is though that everyone else seems to use one and I thought it looked like a good way to stowe all of MY STUFF. This reminds me of the late George Carlin and a skit he did about having too much stuff. Anyway, At this time I think thats why I use a crate... Too Much Stuff. I carry a trolling rod, 9wt 9ft Fly rod, jigging stick and a Live Liner in the bay alone. All of which are stowed in rod holders that I have rigged to my crate. In the crate I have various tackle bags or boxes which carry all of the tackle and gear for each of the rods. I also just bought a folding net at the Timonium show a couple weeks ago. Not sure where thats gonna go, along with a live bait bucket. I also have attatched a flag and light combo, (not a visipole) a lip gripper, (not a Boca) and various odds and ends... Yall think I got too much stuff?? I'm now thinking about purchasing a new 10ft ascend SOT just to hold all of my stuff.
                        Tom Brown
                        Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                        2012 Hobie PA 14'
                        Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                        2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

tom u only need the port o pot and kitchen sink to be complete the more u get out the less youll need to bring. did you get the fabril net that folds in to the handle?

Comment

I started using a crate half way through last years fishing season. I did not add rod holders to it but i think i will. Might never use them but its another option for rod storage and takes up no vital space when not in use.

More of a ...
                            Do i need them now? Not really.
                            Could i use them? Possibly.
                            ... Thing

As for the crate itself. I am stuck with it.
                            1. Stores everything i need in a nice organized area.
                            2. It has a latching lid in case i turtle so no lost tackle.
                            3. Makes loading and unloading tackle in the Kayak easier. No stepping on the break on the way home and hearing that forgotten Plano box sliding through the hull of the Kayak.
                            4. Its a nice way to store everything in the car because I'm lazy and never remove said items from car.

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
                              4. Its a nice way to store everything in the car because I'm lazy and never remove said items from car.
                              Yeah, mine never leaves either. That way, I never forget anything, but I'll be SOL if someone swipes my truck. Also, I've got a couple buddies with boats that will call me for spur of the moment trips.
                              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                              X