1/27 Question of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/27 Question of the Day

What is your biggest/best fish caught from a kayak or best overall kayak fishing day? Tell the story post a picture.

It was late October 2009, on the South River and a cold and rainy day. I found a good school of fish. It began to rain, all the boats went in, not that there were that many to begin with. The fish would surface and start breaking periodically. I caught 23 rockfish, with the largest being 27 inches. None of the fish were undersize. Most if not all of the fish were caught in about a 200 yard area. I was trolling that day. I had several double take downs. It was a good day for fishing, very exciting. 2009 was a good year on the South River. I had alot of 12-15 fish days that year.

I have had several 30 bass days on the upper Potomac, but the 23 rockfish day was the best.

Sorry, no photos, I didn't yet have my splashproof camera.

Comment

I've only fished once from a kayak but that one time got me hooked that's why I bought one but that time I was on the Severn River bottom fishing with crab and caught a 13.5 inch citation white perch. It weighed just under two pounds. It was HUGE. I didn't know WP got that big. It really looked like a smallmouth bass. I know you guys are gonna have your trophy rockfish stories but hey give a brotha a break. Got to start yakking somewhere. LOL!

Comment

My best fish day was a cow-head ray, first M&G at the bay bridge last year. The cowhead started north, the bridge kept getting smaller every time I looked backed, took about 30 minutes to get him close enough to take a picture, cut the line.

It was a wild ride.
        Attached Files

Comment

my best time fishing from the yak was the summer of 09 at the pier in CHSP the floundre were biting on the end of the pier the water was clear and just a gentle roll to the waves. drifted of the pier and got into some 15-17" hardheads almost perfect day. i do think 09 was better than 10 for me.

Brian i cant believe you wanted to put that in a net!

Comment

Originally posted by eastonkayaker View Post
            My best fish day was a cow-head ray, first M&G at the bay bridge last year. The cowhead started north, the bridge kept getting smaller every time I looked backed, took about 30 minutes to get him close enough to take a picture, cut the line.

It was a wild ride.
            The same thing happen to me last year. The ray took me for a good right. It was tough bringing him in to cut the line. I took a pick also.

Comment

Brian, looks like you were trying to catch a stealth bomber in that net.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                Brian, looks like you were trying to catch a stealth bomber in that net.
                I was tyring to determine the size of the thing so I put the net down beside it to take the picture. The picture I attached to today is just of his head as he was pulling me up the bay like a horse pulling a cart.
                Attached Files

Comment

I had a friend who must have thought he wa Ahab. He tried to gaff one of those rays. That was his first mistake. The second was wrapping the rope loop of the gaff around his hand and wrist. The ray took off giving Steve a broken nose and black eye. It smashed him right down into the gunnel. Steve was one of those guys who thought he could handle anything. After that he had more respect for the rays.

Comment

i was fishing at the ramp at crab alley and these cn rays were hammering my baits and i was tired of catching them only to have my line break at the hook as i was pulling them in so i went to shore sportsman an bought a gaff, the next one to eat my spot got the gaff. it didnt like that at all, pretty tough to pull up about 50- 60lbs of mussel. i cut and fileted the wings and cooked it up that night in tomato green olives basil, pretty good but a pain to filet the skin of. an old timer said that he would bake the wing and the skin comes right off. cn rays dont taste like scallops

Comment

Working...
                    X