Cold Front this week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Front this week

With Temps in the 50's over night and just into the 70's during the day what will this do to the fish in the Potomac? I've got a big weekend planned, going out all day tomorrow then all afternoon and into the evening on Sat. I'll be on the water Somewhere between Pohick and Aquia Creek.
    Jeff
    Life's Short, Fish Hard
    Malibu X-Factor
    Ocean Kayak Frenzy

I was going to post this gorgeous gift we are now having with the weather too, but I'll just piggy-back on your post Jeff.

These cool overnight temps in general are a boon to the fish and those of us who fish for them. I read in Keith Lockwood's report a couple of weeks back that in the Bay at least, water temps over 80 degrees put a lot of stress, especially on the rockfish but really on all species. Two weeks +- ago the water temp around Thomas Ppint was 77, not in the danger range.

Now, with these cool temps overnight, it's even better. It should bring the water temp down to the low to mid 70's which could trigger a feeding bonanza for the fish, and therefore us.

Other than the copious amount of rain in June, and that horrible 95 degree stretch we had in mid-july, the weather has been pretty good this summer overall so far for fishing.

Let's just hope we don't get slammed by any tropical storms or worse in the next couple of months (wishful thinking but we can only hope).

Comment

It has been my experience that "cold fronts" in the summer months have a positive impact on the fish (definately the fisherman, i will fish all day if im comfy it also allows me to concentrate - im not stressed from the heat or seeking shelter from the sweltering sun)...fall/winter cold fronts can give the fish lock jaw. Barometric pressure associated with fronts can have impact on where fish hold as well...this front will have been with us for several days before the weekend, so the fish should be adjusted. Good luck
      Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

I was on Potomac Sunday night around Fort Washington. Water Temp was 83. I got there at dead low tide and fishing was terrible. I'm sure this front has dropped temps a good bit.
        Hurricane Skimmer 128
        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Thanks for the input!!!! I'm going to be launching around Sunrise at Pohick tomorrow (if anyone is around come find me) Hopefully I can get out and post a good report. Last week at pohick was phenomenal. Between 3 of us we caught about 20 LM, smallest being about 1 1/2lbs, but the majority were in the 2-4# range. Even caught 3 Snakehead.....It is going to be a tough week to beat, but I'll sure be out there trying.
          Jeff
          Life's Short, Fish Hard
          Malibu X-Factor
          Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

Working...
          X