Interesting video for newbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting video for newbies

I still include myself since I haven't braved spring or fall temps yet. I know the topic has been covered on all kayak forums and often, but this helped me a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtgYP3Xrhdo

This is going to sound strange, but when doing self rescue practice I always show people how to use the paddle while swimming. You pretty much just paddle like you would in your kayak but sort of in a superman position whilst kicking. It's acctually pretty effective as a method of propelling yourself as opposed to the sidestroke paddle hold that most do. I'm not sure where I picked this up, but it is definitely useful.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
      This is going to sound strange, but when doing self rescue practice I always show people how to use the paddle while swimming. .
      i totaly thought of that after we were done!!!! that would have been a great tip to show.

Comment

EXCELLENT Video ........ answered alot of my questions ........ Looks like Kevin ....and crew did it again ....... GREAT job guys !!!!!!

Comment

great video. thats how its done, one thing; where is you paddle leash?

Comment

Thanks for the Link Capt and Thanks again for all your videos Kevin.

Comment

your video is pretty popular, posted on P&S, Tidalfish and SOL and probably more.

Comment

Thanks for posting. That's a great video. Very insightful. Drysuits are best, of course. But, cost prohibitive for most. The middle option of waders and a dry top should handle all but the most extreme situations.

That was/is standard combat surf fishing attire in early spring and fall. A good wader belt is key. We used to take breaking rollers out on sandbars by turning your back to them and holding the brim of your hood down across your forehead to the bridge of your nose. (all while humming the Hawaii Five-O theme!) Then, turn and make a few more casts before the next roller threatened to break over your head! Great fun.

Comment

Great video. It answered some questions that I had about the diff setup.

Comment

thanks guys.

Comment

Hey Kevin, thanks for stirring up a hornets nest on SOL! LOL

Seriously, great job getting this together.

Comment

Working...
                      X