Potomac snakehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac snakehead

Doc Irv stumbled upon this one on Saturday while fishing in Mattawoman Cr. Weight was 8.2 lbs and it was delicious. Yes, we had it for dinner. I won't be throwing any away from now on, they are far too good table fare to waste.
    HOBIE: 2012 PA-14 (Dune) & 2013 PA-14 (Yellow)

Welcome to the club!

Comment

That's a nice one....well done!
      Delicious, indeed!!

Comment

Yeah .......... that one was great ........ congrats Doc.

I saw him down there .......... he gave me a couple of the swimbaits he caught it on ......... man did those lures have alot of action ....... can see why it bit.

I only ended with 2 bass and Dave (another guy on this board) got a nice bass too .........

Great seeing ya out there Doc .......... and congrats on that Python .......

Comment

I got the honor of meeting doc irv on my first adventure to mattawoman. We were all congregated around a couple on a kayak that was pulling in something quite large. He gave me a swim bait and I loved it loads of action. I ended up catching a small LMB about 17" on it. After that the tide turned and I dug into the lilies with my scum frog and caught myself a 28'' snakehead. My first on and how great it felt.
          A bad day fishing is better than a good day working

Comment

Nice one Doc - a fatty to boot! Hope you saved a couple for me, I'm going out Tuesday morning.

Comment

Congrats! They are my favorite fish to catch and to eat so far! How did you prepare it?
              2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
              Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Filets were chunked into "nuggets", coated in flour & spice like catfish, then fried up in a cast iron pan.
                We were lucky that a local friend offered to prepare it for us as we had no way of cooking it ourselves.
                YUMMY.
                The fish is mild in flavor, so I imagine you could do any preparation that benefits a white, mild fleshed fish.
                I can't wait to try other ways to serve it, and the first way I'm cooking it will be blackened, Cajun style.
                HOBIE: 2012 PA-14 (Dune) & 2013 PA-14 (Yellow)

Comment

Originally posted by bruce19365 View Post
                  Filets were chunked into "nuggets", coated in flour & spice like catfish, then fried up in a cast iron pan.
                  We were lucky that a local friend offered to prepare it for us as we had no way of cooking it ourselves.
                  YUMMY.
                  The fish is mild in flavor, so I imagine you could do any preparation that benefits a white, mild fleshed fish.
                  I can't wait to try other ways to serve it, and the first way I'm cooking it will be blackened, Cajun style.
                  I have mentioned this before but McCormick (the spice company) has a beer batter mix that fries up nicely and is tasty. you can find it in the seafood section of most grocers (looks like a taco or sloppy joe mix package). I have only used it on crappie.
                  Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Working...
                  X