Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's something about Mary... More Sharks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's something about Mary... More Sharks!

St. Mary's County near point lookout two more bull sharks were caught.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/2320299...#axzz2ccKlJyeL
    <MIKE>
    Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
    Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

That's a great article ....thanks .....but they have been caught by both hook and line and nets at the bay bridge over the years ........ they have always been in the bay ......

Comment

These were mature male bull sharks- for those old "sharkers" among us...male bulls have the highest level of testosterone of any animal in the animal kingdom and are considered the most aggressive shark- they were rated the number 1 most dangerous shark in the world during the Discovery Week shark week programing-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

We need to protect Chesapeake Bay sharks, not kill them.
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
          We need to protect Chesapeake Bay sharks, not kill them.
          I think anything that gets caught in a net is going to die. Commercial netting needs to be stopped...
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
            I think anything that gets caught in a net is going to die. Commercial netting needs to be stopped...
            100% Agree.
            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

+1

I remember this story... not sure if it's the same one but I seem to remember a number close to 10,000 lbs of fish poached...
              my memory probably wrong or a different story...
              --------------------
              Circa early 2010

Rock Hall, MD (March 8, 2010) — Eight Rock Hall men that were arrested last week for rockfish poaching.
              ---
              Beck and Riggs are accustomed to facing a judge for natural resource violations. Both were caught at 2:30 a.m. Christmas morning – well outside legal harvesting hours – with seven bushels of oysters on their boats. Less than a week later NRP charged B.. with seven bushels of oysters illegally harvested by dredge in an area reserved for patent tonging and oyster diving.
              ---
              On February 23, NRP arrested and charged Beck with possessing striped bass greater than 36 inches and mutilating striped bass to the extent that size could not be determined. NRP officers caught Beck when they checked J & J Seafood in Rock Hall and found striped bass with cut tails.
              ---
              Under changes to law made by the General Assembly in 2009, each of these individuals, if convicted, could face up to $1000 for a first offense and up to $2000 for each subsequent offense. Additionally, on February 22, 2010, the Department’s new commercial fishing points and suspension system took effect.
              ----
              NRP seized approximately 16,500 yards of illegally anchored gill (approximately 55 nets) and 3,200 lbs. of rockfish during the last week and half of February. The nets were seized as officers patrolled the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries in search of illegal poaching activity.
              ----

------------------------------------------------

While I no problem with DNR asking for my fishing license... or boarding my boat (well you know.. kayak)...
              It appears that penalties for these types of violations are very much just a slap on the wrist for the "criminals."

"Under changes to law made by the General Assembly in 2009, individuals, if convicted, could face up to $1000 for a first offense and up to $2000 for each subsequent offense. "
              Last edited by rob-kayak; 08-21-2013, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Wow that's tragic.

Comment

I was under the impression that bull sharks got into the federally protected category...

Sucks people are still killing them..

Meadeo
                  2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

i dont think that they were targeted, they just got stuck in the pound nets as bycatch which sucks because they eat cownose rays which are killing crabs and wrecking the underwarer grasses.

more sharks = less cnrs

Comment

Poundnets are indiscriminate killers and I have no idea how they continue to exist!
                      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post

While I no problem with DNR asking for my fishing license... or boarding my boat (well you know.. kayak)...
                        It appears that penalties for these types of violations are very much just a slap on the wrist for the "criminals."

"Under changes to law made by the General Assembly in 2009, individuals, if convicted, could face up to $1000 for a first offense and up to $2000 for each subsequent offense. "
                        Totally agree. Unfortunately, these guys have one heck of a lobby. Now, if I remember right, a recreational fisherman caught poaching can have his vessel and possibly his tow vehicle confiscated. Isn't that right? If so, the same should hold true for the commercial guys if not more so. It's far easier to believe a weekend warrior wasn't aware his boat had drifted past some make believe line in the water than it is to believe a commercial fisherman wasn't clear on where he could or could not fish.
                        LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                        Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
                          Totally agree. Unfortunately, these guys have one heck of a lobby. Now, if I remember right, a recreational fisherman caught poaching can have his vessel and possibly his tow vehicle confiscated. Isn't that right? If so, the same should hold true for the commercial guys if not more so. It's far easier to believe a weekend warrior wasn't aware his boat had drifted past some make believe line in the water than it is to believe a commercial fisherman wasn't clear on where he could or could not fish.
                          I do not think they seize in Maryland. If this was a Oregon pacific salmon poacher? State police would be auctioning off everything.....or using it. And permanent loss of license. Here same guys get busted over and over
                          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                          X