New member, new kayak, new to fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member, new kayak, new to fishing

New to fishing as an adult, at least, dad always took me fishing in ponds in South Carolina as a kid.

I just got a new Perception Sport Pescador 12, have only taken it out once but man it was the most serene feeling in my life (until I got a couple of miles out and realized that I had no idea where my wallet and car keys were).

I'm just launching out of Chapel Point State Park on the Port Tobacco River and paddling around in there for now. Can anyone offer me any advice on what I should be fishing in there?

Thanks! Glad to be part of the forum.

From one night owl to another......... welcome aboard.
    Nice choice for a starter kayak. Cant help you on fishing your area. never heard of it.
    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Welcome PiousDevil,

While I'm not familiar with that area, just upriver is Mallows Bay and a bit further Mattowoman Creek. Plenty of trip reports on those locations will give you an idea of what to do. My gues is that in the POrt Tobacco River you are looking at bass and snakeheads. Tossing topwaters or spinnerbaits into cover should produce, usually best on a moving tide.

Downriver is the 301 bridge and again you will find an occasional trip report on tat area that will give you a few tips. I have not been that far down river myself so can't offer any advice.

Comment

Port Tobaco has LM Bass, Pickeral, Yellow and White Perch and from what I hear a lot of Snakeheads. If you drop any kind of bait to the bottom you should find more catfish than you want. Outside in the Potomac there are stripers when you learn where to find them. Try casting shad bodies on 3/8 oz jigheads along the shore. Sept. thru Oct. should be good along the shore. There are some super shallow water spots from Loyola down to Popes Creek, but that's about a 5 mi. paddle from Chapel Point. Welcome to the group, keep us posted on your successes.

Comment

Welcome! Experiment w/ diff casting lures & dropping bait & let us know how you do!

Comment

Working...
          X