fly tying bobbin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fly tying bobbin

Fly tying has never been so good! I bought a Ritebobbin Standard bobbin from intheriffle.com. I ordered it last Sunday and it arrived on Wednesday. Sells for $19.99.

If you are tying flies with the old open end bobbin, you are missing out. This bobbin is sooooo smooth. It is a pleasure to work with. I can see an increase in "fly production" already. It was worth every penny.

photo.jpg
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Laura,

Looks nice. I may have to try one of those.

I still use an old fashioned bobbin but I do not tie flies at all during the warm weather.

I tie them during the winter so that I have a good supply to start the next season.

Looks like I'll be shifting to more tidal patterns with all the fun I've been having in the Bay and its tributaries this year.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Tried one but not a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
        Tried one but not a fan.
        What's your "weapon" of choice? I found this bobbin to be very smooth. No torn thread issues.
        Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

I use either a ceramic or ceramic lined bobbin to prevent the broken tread issue. Just comfortable using them. As like all things use what works for you.

Comment

Is it really that good? It looks difficult to hold. I have a number of the old style for various lines an even lead free weight. I'll be looking for additional arms for my vice to hold crystal flash etc.... Or a rotary vise.
            PigPen - Mt Airy
            Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post
              Is it really that good? It looks difficult to hold. I have a number of the old style for various lines an even lead free weight. I'll be looking for additional arms for my vice to hold crystal flash etc.... Or a rotary vise.
              I like it, but I haven't been tying all that long. You might want to search online for reviews of it.

I was watching some fly tying videos on You Tube when I saw someone using it. I liked the way it looked and handled. I was looking for a replacement for the standard bobbin that comes with tying tool kits. So far I am very happy with this new one.
              Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

PigPen,

I have a Renzetti rotary vise. It's great for spinning hackle on dry flies and chenille on wooly buggers but not good for making Clouser Minnows due to the upward angle of the vice grips. Renzetti knows this and makes a special cam for tieing Clousers. However in lieu of buying that I use a standard low end vise and flip the fly during construction. I only mention this to advise you to consider the flies you will be making. A rotary vise may not always be your best choice.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  PigPen,

I have a Renzetti rotary vise. It's great for spinning hackle on dry flies and chenille on wooly buggers but not good for making Clouser Minnows due to the upward angle of the vice grips. Renzetti knows this and makes a special cam for tieing Clousers. However in lieu of buying that I use a standard low end vise and flip the fly during construction. I only mention this to advise you to consider the flies you will be making. A rotary vise may not always be your best choice.
                  Thanks Mark,

I typicaly tie buggers or a minnow patterns made solely from spun hackles. I make grasshopers and a few high floating dryflies much less often anymore since the trout around here are mostly stocked fish and probably wouldn't recognize a dry fly if it bit them. Even on the float down the potomac there was a nice (I mean clouds of them) hatch about size 18 but I only saw a few blugills coming up for them. I figure, I'll put the rotary vice on my Christmas list and see if anybody bites. Otherwise I should spend more time designing my flyting bench.

Ben
                  PigPen - Mt Airy
                  Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

PigPen,

Buggers work well in the Potomac for smallmouth. You'll be able to crank them out quickly with a rotary.

I hope Santa answers your list.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                    X