Lake Anna Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Anna Sunday

I know this is last second, but I can't wait until spring to shake down this new yak. I am heading down to Bumpass, Va on Sunday to fish the Dike 3 area of Lake Anna if anyone wants to join me. It is on the cold side, but the the southern end of the lake is the warmest. It is supposed to be 48 degrees air temp and I think the water temp is similar. Going to use Joe's launch site right off the Dike. Possibilities include striper and large mouth!

I'm heading out in a minute to meet Joe there. I'll post a report tonight.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Well that sucks, guess I am soloing it tomorrow.

Comment

TJ, still going?? I was waiting on bill & joe's report to see if I should go, might head for yellow perch but I haven't heard about that either.

I suck at FW fishing for largemouth bass but I'm considering it.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

The place we launched was a community ramp, unfortunately. I don't think there's a public launch on the warm water side. Report Cliff Notes--two bass for me, one bass and at least 4 white perch for Joe.
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Bill -
            Ohh, you guys fished the private side, awesome that you guys caught some fish!

Michael - Yeah, I am going tomorrow still, 3611 Moody Town Road in Bumpass on the public side down by the dam. Probably leaving late-ish, around 8 or 9am.

Comment

Trip report! Lake Anna dike #3 is a good place for Kayaking in the winter. The parking lot is large, and free for fishing use. There is also a Porta John. Like Joe mentions in his video, there is a trail leading to a hard packed sandy beach. There are some boulders about a foot high to block vehicles from using the trail. I had to carry my kayak over those, then put its cart on. A trip using this launch will be much easier with a second set of hands to simply walk the kayak over those rocks real quick. The trail is firm and the beach as well, my kart had no issues going over it. The lake is surrounded by McMansions, I dont know, its weird seeing all that money that people invest in houses to only use them in the Summer. Most of them had boat docks that were covered, and 98% of them were vacant yesterday. I don't think I would want to come down here after Spring Break, and before School went back into session at the end of Summer if that is any gauge of the boat traffic to come!

Fishing: I jigged for herring for about 15 minutes from the shore, only managed to hook one tiny 1 or 2 inch guy that I didn't even bother keeping for bait. I trolled a deep diving crank bait with a bucktail/curly tail combo, and another 3/4 oz buck tail with a bass assassin and 2 oz sinker to keep it down. The lake jumps around in depth a lot. It seemed to average about 40feet in depth, and up to 80 in a lot of places. It would also go from 40 to 2 feet rather quickly in a few areas. No fish, but I enjoyed being out, it was nearly 50 degrees and sunny all day. Probably saw 10-12 power boats fishing.

TJ

Comment

I was wondering how you did. There's supposed to be good crappie in the lake, too. On my way to meet Joe, I saw a guy walking with a stringer full of nice slabs. I'm not sure where he got them, but I'd like to know. It sucks there are no public launches on the warm side where we were.
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                X