SnakeHead Yikes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SnakeHead Yikes!

Well the other day someone came to the local bait shop explaining how he caught a little snakehead. Figured it was usual until i heard where he caught it at.. They've made it up to the Patapsco River. Has anyone else heard anyone catching them in that area?

First I've heard of a snakehead being caught in the Patapsco. I know they like heavy weed cover and the Patapsco virtually has none. Maybe they don't require weed cover... dunno. If snakeheads ever reached the Susky Flats they feel like they are in snakehead heaven. There's a couple square miles of heavy growth up there.
    Last edited by HJS; 08-25-2013, 07:37 AM.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

It's just a matter of time and they will be in the flats and beyond....
      http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
      484-459-9863
      If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
      *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

Holy crap, the patapsco?! If that's true, there's no stopping them. Although, I think I'd have a blast catching them on the flats except for the fear that they'd ruin the fishery up there.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

This is the 1st I've heard of one caught in the Patapsco but I thought a few were caught last year nr North East, MD...which is above the flats.

Comment

stop the people who catch them and release them closer to their home and you wont have a problem.
            Zach Moore
            Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
            Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
            Bait Towel Pro Staff
            2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
            YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
              Holy crap, the patapsco?! If that's true, there's no stopping them. Although, I think I'd have a blast catching them on the flats except for the fear that they'd ruin the fishery up there.
              Except MD, DC, and VA DNR's have all came out and said they arent the monsters they were once thought to be. I think the horror stories of them decimating the homeostasis (haven't used that word since college) of the ecosystem were overblown. They have to be watched and controlled the same as any fish.

Gotta remember there are in species in our ecosystem today, that aren't native to the area, and we treasure them. Maybe the snakehead falls in line and just becomes another species?

Comment

It's a 2 hour-92 mile drive from my home to the Susky Flats. I'm more than willing to drive that far for C&R striper fishing... but not so much just to catch lmbass. But if snakesheads were there in good numbers I'd be more than willing to make the drive, many times a year.
                Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

If you have SH problems, just let some Asian people know about the location. Your SH problems will be gone in no time. Just look at Mattawoman, Pohick, Leesylvania, all of them got clean up pretty good. I have to travel down to Aquia in Stafford to look for some SH now.

Comment

I got a very large fish right to the edge of the river today right under the swinging bridge. I could no swear it was a snakehead but did not look like a chain pickerel. Every but of two feet long.
                    2000 Old Town Loon 138T
                    2013 Field and Stream Eagle Talon

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                      The fishery is already ruined on the flats.
                      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by imagine29028 View Post
                        Except MD, DC, and VA DNR's have all came out and said they arent the monsters they were once thought to be. I think the horror stories of them decimating the homeostasis (haven't used that word since college) of the ecosystem were overblown. They have to be watched and controlled the same as any fish.

Gotta remember there are in species in our ecosystem today, that aren't native to the area, and we treasure them. Maybe the snakehead falls in line and just becomes another species?
                        Dont forget that they are a really good eating fish.
                        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Yup. Totally agree. Not the Frankenfish they were made out to be (walk across miles of land, eat your dog, borrow you car without asking, etc.). Fun to catch and good eating should you decide to keep one or two. One day these will be the tourney fish to catch.
                          Dave N.
                          Wilderness Systems Radar 115
                          - Solar

Comment

Agree......having caught one finally, they really taste GOOD!!! Not fishy at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
                              If you have SH problems, just let some Asian people know about the location. Your SH problems will be gone in no time. Just look at Mattawoman, Pohick, Leesylvania, all of them got clean up pretty good. I have to travel down to Aquia in Stafford to look for some SH now.
                              hahahahhaha
                              Native Watercraft Pro Staff
                              2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
                              33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
                              2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

Working...
                              X