First aid kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First aid kit

Stuff happens. Yesterday after being out on the Severn/Weems/Bay for 8 hours I found out the hard way that my first aid kit was severely lacking. I am posting this so others will review or give some more thought to their first aid kit.

I just about cut off the end of my index finger when I was putting the hitch/bed extender on my truck as I was loading up to go home. Fortunately there was someone else there who just happened to put a first aid kit in their boat that morning. Their kit was fully "loaded" unlike mine.

I went to the ER and was told I had cut the finger tip almost all the way through. The nail is cut in half horizontally. Fortunately they could tape me back together with steri strips. They told me they don't stitch these anymore as the strips work very well.

I mentioned to the ER doc about having been in the Bay and he agreed that there is a lot of nasty stuff in the water. Antibiotics were given. I keep my tetanus shot up to date - not a bad idea for anyone.

So, if you could share what you think is most important in a first aid kit I think that would be helpful to others and myself. Just a reminder to check our kits.
    Last edited by zeebyrd; 08-26-2013, 04:26 PM.
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Sorry to hear about your finger
    Hope you it heals fast so you can be out there

Comment

Laura -

Sorry you were injured. I'm glad you received immediate assistance and were close to the medical center. I hope it heals up quickly.

I had not seen any fishing reports from you in a while and did not know if you were still fishing regularly. Hang in there.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Most store bought kits are only good for minor boo boos. I divide my kit into to parts, trauma and minor stuff. The trauma side has a tourniquet, 28 g nasal airway, izzy pressure bandage, and primed compressed gauze. The other side has has various band aides, antibacterial ointment, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and benadryl.

Comment

I hope it wasn't your casting finger. Several years ago I cut the tip of my casting finger. No big deal, I treated it myself, but still had to wait nearly 2 weeks before I could use it for casting without fear of opening it up again..
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Ouch! I hope it doesn't keep you off the water long. I have various sizes of bandaids, gauzes that have antibacterial ointment embedded in them, iodine and BC Powders, but I think I'll add some pressure bandages like Petey091 mentioned.
            2013 WS Ride 135
            2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

Thank you everyone for the well wishes. It was my left hand and I'm right handed, so it doesn't affect my casting. If I didn't have a ton of things to occupy my day today, I would have been back out on the water. I would have found a way to wrap it up to keep it dry. (I can be a tough old bird when the occasion demands it. LOL)

I will be back out this weekend, weather permitting.

Thank you also for the comments on what first aid supplies to keep on hand.
              Laura (aka zeebyrd)
              Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Glad you re ok ........ Hope it heals soon

Comment

a first aid kit was one of the first things I put in my kayak but i think I will check it again just to make sure I have what I want in it. I also have a kit in my car just in case it never hurts. Glad you had some help sometimes thats the best aid you can have.
                  D Hawk
                  Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                  Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Laura,

Ouch! I'm not good with blood. I rarely see it for long if you know what I mean.

I carry anti-septic pads but I have nothing that could have helped with your injury. I'm glad you're OK.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Glad your ok.

Kinda makes me want to re-think my 1st aid kit.
                      I carry a small bottle of peroxide, a few bandaids & some tape.
                      2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
                      X