Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNR safety equipment requirement

Hello All,

I am new to this site. found it by chance while looking into rigging my kayak with a trolling motor. AWESOME SITE and lots of info.

I learned that rigging it with a motor requires registration with DNR. That's being done.

Now reading futher for safety equipent reqirements: I do not see anything else is required for kayaks, except for a PFD and sounding device (air horn or whistle). If fishing at night one would need the lighting requirement. Is there anything else I am missing?

first aid kit?
    flares?
    throwable device?
    extiguisher?

Welcome! Personal requirement as I learned yesterday since you mentioned it, is. WELL stocked first aid kit. Stuff happens. Maybe you won't need it, but if you do, you want to make sure you have enough in there to take care of any injuries that can occur.

I started a thread on here about first aid kits. I hope enough reply and share what they think is important.

I carry a handheld VHF radio with me to monitor the weather and also for emergencies. Not required, but not expensive either.
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

The USCG requires a pfd that is readily accessible and easy to put on. They require a whistle or other sound making device. A pea-less whistle is required in some states. For night time navigation they require at least a white torch light (flashlight) that can be shown in the direction of an approaching boat. For night time visual distress they require flares OR an electronic light (flashlight again?). For daylight they mention an orange flag, but flailing your arms might also work. Here's a link to the requirements, with mention of the sections of the law that contain them. http://sweetwaterkayaks.wordpress.co...-requirements/

Some other things just make good sense. First of these would be a paddle leash. Even if your paddle just slips away from you, you'd be surprised how quickly you'd drift away from it. Some sort of dry bag or box for your wallet, car keys and cell phone. This should also be leashed to the kayak. Some sort of bailer is a good idea. A big sponge goes with me. I just added a minimal first aid kit with band aids, bandage gauze, ointment, a few alcohol swabs, tape and scissors.

Others will surely add to this. Have fun out there.

Comment

Good advice about things you must have and things you should have- I carry a whistle on a lanyard looped into my Hobie inflatable PFD that always, always, always wear...cooler weather is headed our way and then things get interesting- the waders, safety belts etc. dictate that I swap out my inflatable for a Stolquist PFD (warmer) and that I carry a few more things that are optional in the warmer weather- getting wet in cold weather can be a real serious problem really quickly- all bets are off if you roll (turtle) your kayak- a paddle leash can be a life saver as long as you don't get tangled up in it- too many leashes (IMHO) is a death trap...think about flotation devices for your rods instead of leashes- just me- not everyone agrees with this, but having had a recent experience where the lack of leashes made recovery and reenter a piece of cake-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

You have to have running lights after dark ....... Not sure about the daytime

Comment

Working...
          X