Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member, new to kayak fishing (but got hooked, quickly). Need some advice pls!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member, new to kayak fishing (but got hooked, quickly). Need some advice pls!

Hi Everyone,

In short, I got hooked onto kayak fishing on the last trip I made with my family to lake Anna, VA.
    There was a kayak that we could use during our stay. I was out for several hours everyday (thanks to my wife taking care of our kiddos), I had an awesome time, and caught some fish too.

I have been looking locally to purchase a used kayak for a bargain.
    After researching around, looks to me my primary place to go out with the kayak will be our Bay.
    I will probably be using it in fresh water too where rules and regulations allow - lakes and reservoirs (no interest to go on rivers and fast waters)

I have found what I think is bargain deal on a Manta Ray 14. It is 4 years old, condition is decent - nothing seems damaged. It will come with a PFD, Werner paddle, and Scotty mount in the middle of the center console. This model seems not be the angler model and has no additional rod holders behind the seat. it does not have the rails on the side either, available on the newer models that will easily allow you to mount extra stuff.
    The price is about 60% of the price of a new Manta Ray 14 (paddle, PFD, rod holder are included too).

Two questions to the more experienced and knowledgeable guys around here:

1. Is this a good choice for entry level kayak? I would like to get something that will be good for me for couple of years ahead, not looking for really entry level that will get me in the water today, and I will quickly outgrow its potential and looking for something better.

2. Is this really a bargain, or should keep looking around.

Thanks everyone for your $0.02,

Ivan

Welcome! Where in VA are you? I'm up in Manassas, I manage to get out most fridays somewhere here in the local area. As far as the manta ray, read through the reviews here online. but see if you can get the person selling it to meet you at the water with it and actually paddle it. It seems like a good bargin if you are comfortable in the yak and it suits your needs.
    Jeff
    Life's Short, Fish Hard
    Malibu X-Factor
    Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

I am actually from Baltimore, MD. We tried lake Anna this year, and we loved it.

Comment

I have a MantaRay 11 and love it. I'm not sure how heavy the MantaRay 14 is, so make sure you are happy with the weight and able to move it about.
        Adding rod holders is no problem. It is probably even easier to just mount some rod holders to a milk crate and put that in the cargo area behind the seat.
        Mine does not have the slide track system and you'll be fine. Just make sure you want a 14 foot boat and not something smaller or larger. If the price is good, go for it. Chances are in a year or two you will want another kayak anyways. Kayak fishing is addicting like that.

Comment

I have fished from a Manta Ray 14 since 2008. I love it and would not trade for any other model. It tracks very straight without any need for a rudder. That also means that it is resistant to turning. If you need to maneuver in close quarters it takes several strokes to pivot the boat. The seat is remarkably comfortable, and the ride is dry.

I don't know what year the kayak is. My original Manta Ray 14 was a 2008 model. I recommend that you examine the keel and look for any holes. Also lift up the fabric seat and look at the seating well to see if there are any cracks. If not, go ahead and buy it.

You already have a Scotty mount in front of you. You can add one on either side just behind the seat to allow good trolling and rod storage.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

ah, I missed this deal. Someone offer a bit more $$$ the last moment... I am continuing to look around!

Comment

Working...
            X