Free Must-have Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Must-have Map

I went to the Timonium, MD, State Fair on Thursday and stopped in the MD-DNR building. One of the booths there had available for free a fold-up map showing a huge number of boat launches in the PA/MD/VA/DC area that any boater/kayaker should have handy when planning a fishing trip. Essentially, these are launches found throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed. The map includes most of the Susky, and many of it’s tribs, all the way north to the NY State Line. It also shows all the VA launches east of I-95 and the MD/VA Eastern Shore down to the CBBTunnel. This is a must-have map for kayakers and boaters alike… and believe me, this map is festooned with a couple 100 numbered color-coded dots with pointer arrows pin-pointing launches everywhere in the watershed in PA/MD/VA/and DC.

This map has been around in various forms for a decade or two. Go hunt it down at any of this winter’s fishing shows where this states have booths. Since it appears to be a collaborative effort between PA/MD & VA I’m guessing show booths from any of these states may have this map available. Or maybe give them a call.

The map’s rather long title is: “Chesapeake Bay & Susquehanna River and Their Tributaries”. I'll attach a couple picks of this map.

Map - MidBay.jpgMap - MidSusky.jpgMap Cover.jpg
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

According to DNR's website (page last updated in 2009):

"Get this map: Copies of the Public Access Guide are free of
    charge. For more information or to request a copy send an email
    to aking@dnr.state.md.us. Please write “map request” in the
    subject line and include your name, complete mailing address,
    email, phone number, and the number of maps you would like to
    receive."
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks John for directions on how to get this map. I might add that not all of the launch sites are shown... but a whole lot of them are. For example, boating centers at such places as Loch Raven, Prettyboy Res, Liberty Res and Piney lake are not shown... but the carry-in kayak/canoe launch at Perryville Comm Park is shown. This is a fine map that will get you started.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

There are also apps for phones with ramp locations, access & directions. They cover the entire country, if you travel they are another fishing tool.
        HOBIE: 2012 PA-14 (Dune) & 2013 PA-14 (Yellow)

Comment

Just requested three maps via email link above. Thanks for the link.
          http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
          484-459-9863
          If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
          *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce19365 View Post
            There are also apps for phones with ramp locations, access & directions. They cover the entire country, if you travel they are another fishing tool.
            Any recommendations?
            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

on my smartphone, I have "launch sites" and "launch points". They are definitely pretty handy, especially if you end up in an unfamiliar area. I have found a few not listed that I plan in adding, but I find most are and some might surprise you.

Comment

Missed this thread the first time around. HJS, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                  Thanks John for directions on how to get this map. I might add that not all of the launch sites are shown... but a whole lot of them are. For example, boating centers at such places as Loch Raven, Prettyboy Res, Liberty Res and Piney lake are not shown... but the carry-in kayak/canoe launch at Perryville Comm Park is shown. This is a fine map that will get you started.
                  Loch Raven, Prettyboy, Liberty are by season permit only and Piney Run is a private Reservoir so they wouldn't be listed. Balto City wouldn't want the 3 reservoirs listed because of enforcement concerns

Comment

Working...
                  X