Accident a Rudee inlet, Virginia Beach, Va

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accident a Rudee inlet, Virginia Beach, Va

If you have not seen this it's worth checking out. http://www.fox43tv.com/news/local/va...o-person-kayak
    Ed
    Jackson Cuda 14

Wow! Just goes to show you that you always have to be aware of your surrounding. There will always be someone who doesn't pay attention and won't see you.

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

My uncle was a Bay Pilot. He brought the large ships safely up the Bay and into Balt. harbor, as well as thru the C & D Canal. When I was a kid about 12 years old I went on a trip on an English freighter down the Bay with him to the Pilot ship anchored in the mouth of the Bay off Hampton Roads if my memory is right. We waited for the next ship; an Indian freighter to pick us up.

I stayed up in the bridge with him most of the time, and he spent the majority of his time looking through his binoculars for small boats that would wander into the channel. This "tourist ship" probably did not have a Bay Pilot on board. It likely had a foreign captain with limited experience in the Virginia Beach area.

I know that any ship, even tourists ships that come up and down the Bay are required to have a Maryland Bay Pilot on board. The Pilot assumes the duties and authority of captain of the ship and is fully responsible for its safe passage in the defined shipping lanes.

Let's just hope the guy with "potential life threatening injuries" makes it. Since that trip down the Bay decades ago, I've always been very aware of where the shipping lanes are when out in any boat, and stayed clear or make a quick perpendicular run across it.
      Last edited by Fishinfool; 09-02-2013, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X