X-13 Filled up and rolled during the first trip out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-13 Filled up and rolled during the first trip out

Today, was my first day out on the bay in my Malibu X-13 acquired in May. The sequence of events happened once near the bridge cable support structure. A "Larger boat" powered me and it's wake caught me broadside, and immediately rolled my X-13. There were power boaters near by who came to my aid, assisted in collecting my gear that was floating, and stabilized myself, once back in my kayak. I noticed that that with every swell, and wake from a passing boat, there was a tendency to roll again, as I felt the kayak acting counter to the action of the water. I choose quickly to head back to the docks as I was aided by the tidal current pushed me along, as paddling was traumatic and sluggish. I met a Maryland Natural Resource inquiring about a rolled kayak as I was passing the jetty, luckily... Even though I lost a good amount of my gear, Im still around to blog some more...

Glad you ok it's was rough out there today

Comment

Glad you are okay. We met and spoke briefly at the ramp today. Sounds like you were taking on water inside the belly of the craft. Was this so? I remember seeing you had a cart set up, possibly using the scupper holes for support. The scupper hole(s) may be cracked. Better check it carefully.

Comment

That's not good did you have a leak
        D Hawk
        Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
        Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Glad you're ok.
          Last edited by scorpioreno; 09-04-2013, 01:02 PM.

Comment

I'm glad you're ok.

I was out there today too it very was choppy. I think I might have seen you as I was headed out to the bridge around 2pm is your X-13 red?
            <MIKE>
            Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
            Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

That sucks man. I've had a close call trying to pull a snagged lure out from an underwater branch where I came about 2 inches away from flipping. Gas motors aren't allowed where I fish though, so I guess I have it pretty easy compared to you all fishing out on the bay having to deal with the wakes.
              Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
              Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
              Northern Pike: 24 inches
              Crappie: 12 inches
              Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

re:

Originally posted by dhawk View Post
                That's not good did you have a leak
                I am aware of the cart that fits the scupper holes and the problems associated with them. I use a hull cart that is strapped. I talk with the manufacture "Malibu" and they want know what I find. There have been other occurrences of hull filling I am finding out. So I am looking for an engineering or design solution before next weekend. I will be getting a pump as a just in case.

Comment

Yes, that was me, I did notice that large boats didn't give small boaters any room... They motor right on by sometimes too close... Thinking back, I did bow in taking their pressure wakes head on... so that may be a problem as well...

Comment

I don't know, however I am looking, if my static test prove negative, then I will be forced to put in the water and sit on it until I see a change in it's state...

I originally wanted the X-Factor, however the X-13 was on clearance and the X-Factor was sold two days before I returned to the store to get it, along with the X-13. The one I have was found in Missouri and shipped here, I like the way it tracks...

Comment

As I mentioned to you earlier, try to fish with someone in a protected location and see if you take on any water......

Comment

I drove over the Bridge on Saturday and there was pretty good wind blowing. It looked rough. I doubt I would have had the cojones to be out there. I'm glad you made it alright and some nice folks helped you out.
                        Hurricane Skimmer 128
                        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by Malibu_X-13_Driver View Post
                          I don't know, however I am looking, if my static test prove negative, then I will be forced to put in the water and sit on it until I see a change in it's state...

I originally wanted the X-Factor, however the X-13 was on clearance and the X-Factor was sold two days before I returned to the store to get it, along with the X-13. The one I have was found in Missouri and shipped here, I like the way it tracks...
                          I had to do a test run in my kayak after taking on water. What I did was go to area I knew very well and stayed in about 10 feet of water traveling along a shore line so that if I was taking on water I could(at worst) beach the yak and walk back to my car. I didn't travel more than 1/2 mile away from the launch. Good luck. Hopefully the water was just from turning the kayak over.

Comment

Working...
                          X