Status on: X-13 that Filled rolled Monday, Labor Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Status on: X-13 that Filled rolled Monday, Labor Day

First I want to thank you all for your concern, well wishes, and recommendations regarding my X-13...

This evening I performed three test to see if the kayak had any water intrusion issues:

First immersed the kayak in a large volume of water spray on the bow and stern for two hours.

Results were negative, (Dry Inside, no leakage).

Second immersed the kayak to the same upside under and around the hull, suppers holes, stern and bow

Third: Filled the inside of the Kayak to two inches below the center hatch, raised the bow forcing water to the stern, raised the stern forcing water to the bow.

Results were negative, (No leakage).

The only thing I can think of is the large Gator Hatch on the bow allowing water into the hull every time I penetrated a boats bow wake resulting in my bow submerging and probably slightly raising the hatch allowing water in. I will talk again with Malibu to come up with other ways of testing my kayak. No leakage from the scuppers (when filled) or any of the hatches when raising the bow or stern.

I hope to have this worked out before this weekend... I would like to go out again... (Controlled trip)

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks to all again...

Curtis
    Last edited by Malibu_X-13_Driver; 09-04-2013, 09:35 PM.

Originally posted by Malibu_X-13_Driver View Post
    First I want to thank you all for your concern, well wishes, and recommendations regarding my X-13...

This evening I performed three test to see if the kayak had any water intrusion issues:

First immersed the kayak in a large volume of water spray on the bow and stern for two hours.

Second immersed the kayak to the same upside under and around the hull, suppers holes, stern and bow

Third: Filled the inside of the Kayak to two inches below the center hatch, raised the bow forcing water to the stern, raised the stern forcing water to the bow.

The only thing I can think of is the large Gator Hatch on the bow allowing water into the hull every time I penetrated a boats bow wake resulting in my bow submerging and probably slightly raising the hatch allowing water in. I will talk again with Malibu to come up with other ways of testing my kayak. No leakage from the scuppers (when filled) or any of the hatches when raising the bow or stern.

I hope to have this worked out before this weekend... I would like to go out again... (Controlled trip)

Thanks to all again...

Curtis

Curtis, I have owned 5 Malibu's. (2 X Factors and 3 Stealth 14s.) My wife had the X-13.
    Never had any real issues with water entering the hull in the X-13. ( The Stealth's are a different story) However, I did reinforce the gater hatch with an additional strap that went over the middle of that hatch. This helped to get a tighter fit. If that huge bow hatch is the least bit loose a lot of water is coming in..... Period. Left unchecked and you are going swimming. As a precaution you might want to periodically open the small center hatch in front of the seat, remove the liner and check to see if there is any water in the hull. If there is just pump it out. ( I always carry a pump) This hatch could also allow some water to get in. Those securing screws need to be checked every couple trips. As another precaution I placed a large airbag under the gator hatch. This airbag took up the entire space (Any kayak shop, Amazon etc will have them). I also stuffed a few large pool noodles up the sides. Few if any plastic kayaks with hatches do not leak.
    Although Malibu's are notorious for leaking far more than most. I like the products attributes otherwise I wouldn't keep buying them, I also am well aware of their problems and just work around them. Hope this helps.
    Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
    Predator 13

Comment

Originally posted by Malibu_X-13_Driver View Post

Thanks to all again...

Curtis
      Curtis, One other important thing. Take a close look at your scupper tubes for cracks. I know you mentioned that you checked this but just maybe your weight in the seat was enough to cause some flex which caused a crack(s) to open. That went unnoticed during the test with no weight in the boat. If you had used a cart that sets through the scupper that could have created a problem. On my Stealth's and X Factors these tubes were extremely thin. Shockingly thin. I have talked to Malibu about this and it appears they have yet to be addressed on those models. I literally reinforce these tubes on the inside. There are a number of ways to do it but a quick fix is a few wraps of waterproof reinforced tape.
      Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
      Predator 13

Comment

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post
        Curtis, I have owned 5 Malibu's. (2 X Factors and 3 Stealth 14s.) My wife had the X-13.
        Never had any real issues with water entering the hull in the X-13. ( The Stealth's are a different story) However, I did reinforce the gater hatch with an additional strap that went over the middle of that hatch. This helped to get a tighter fit. If that huge bow hatch is the least bit loose a lot of water is coming in..... Period. Left unchecked and you are going swimming. As a precaution you might want to periodically open the small center hatch in front of the seat, remove the liner and check to see if there is any water in the hull. If there is just pump it out. ( I always carry a pump) This hatch could also allow some water to get in. Those securing screws need to be checked every couple trips. As another precaution I placed a large airbag under the gator hatch. This airbag took up the entire space (Any kayak shop, Amazon etc will have them). I also stuffed a few large pool noodles up the sides. Few if any plastic kayaks with hatches do not leak.
        Although Malibu's are notorious for leaking far more than most. I like the products attributes otherwise I wouldn't keep buying them, I also am well aware of their problems and just work around them. Hope this helps.
        Thank you for the recommendation, I think that helps.

Comment

When I had my tarpon 120 I fished a nasty day on the Susky Flats. Ended up with 4 inches of water inside the kayak and suffered a miserable trip back to the launch. My front compression hatch was not sealed correctly and every wave over the bow allowed water to enter inside the hull. Back on land I drained gallons of water out of the kayak. To verify this, I ran some water over the hatch with a garden hose and watched the water seep inside.

I purchased weatherstripping from Home depot to form a better seal, it wasn't perfect....but better.
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Thanks Sparky,

Comment

I noticed in the new proanglers that they reinforced the scupper holes for what I assume is where the cart is attached. Does anybody think other kayaks can be retrofitted with reinforced scuppers?
              PigPen - Mt Airy
              Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

The new Native Slayers have gone to larger diameter and sturdier scupper holes too. I cannot confirm why they did that, but a representative from a local dealer told me he thought it had been done to strengthen the scuppers and avoid stress cracking.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

After almost sinking my Outback do to a scupper hloe leak I keep a pump in the center hatch. It is a scary feeling to look inside your yak to a lot of water. It will move several gallons a minute. I hope to never haveto use it. Good luck finding the leak.
                  Jim

Hobie Outback
                  TKAA member
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Thanks Jim, Ho did yo remedy the hole? If I every have the same problem I'd like to think I could heat up some PVC or thermoform plastic tube in the oven along with some way to expand the tube to the scupper diameter. Lining the scupper with marine epoxy should make a nice repair (maybe not very clean). I saw Hobie seems to sell mostly a scupper based cart now so the design challanges must be forth coming for older models.
                    PigPen - Mt Airy
                    Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

I used a 2 part puddy epoxy from West Marine. Mi Ed it up and packed the hole and flatted the back side over. It has been holding for a while ow with zero problems.
                      Jim

Hobie Outback
                      TKAA member
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Working...
                      X