Spot for live lining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spot for live lining

I know a lot of people catch their own bait (spot) for live lining at BB. Can anyone chip in on what is the best way to catch some spot? Do you troll, bottom bouncing? Do you troll until you find them?

I tried catching them twice and got skunked. Today, I bought them off Anglers and it saved plenty of time for me AND I didn't skunk. =]
    Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I always set up a hi/lo rig w #4 hooks baited w/nightcrawlers/bloodworms/or shrimp to catch spot.

Comment

Do you fish for them in certain area such mouth inlet or shallow or just drop the line and drift?

Originally posted by whenican View Post
        I always set up a hi/lo rig w #4 hooks baited w/nightcrawlers/bloodworms/or shrimp to catch spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
          I know a lot of people catch their own bait (spot) for live lining at BB. Can anyone chip in on what is the best way to catch some spot? Do you troll, bottom bouncing? Do you troll until you find them?
          I tie my own high low rig with #8 or smaller long shank hooks and use small chunks of fishbites. I like making my own so I can keep the hooks closer to the bottom but any rig will work. I usually fish pretty shallow (4-6 fow or less) along pilings and rip rap but they can be just about anywhere. Once you find one you should find more. Small white perch will also work in a pinch.

Comment

I've not tried this live lining technique, but from reading these posts these spot seem to be about the most delicate bait I've ever heard of. Most posts seem to start off with, 'I got 8 spots but 5 died and only 3 were lively'. aren't there ant GULP spot. Or another more sturdy alternative?
            Hurricane Skimmer 128
            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

spot, along with other bait just need good water to survive. a live well with water intake is best, havent had a spot even come close to die. many use buckets with aerators which people fail to remember, the bay water is already 78 degrees plus and the sun will heat up that water to leathal temperature in a matter of minutes. some drag a bait bucket behind them which is fine, besides the drag on the kayak, but the second you put it on deck, the clock starts ticking.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                I've not tried this live lining technique, but from reading these posts these spot seem to be about the most delicate bait I've ever heard of. Most posts seem to start off with, 'I got 8 spots but 5 died and only 3 were lively'. aren't there ant GULP spot. Or another more sturdy alternative?
                The natural action of a panicing spot running for his life when you drop him in front of a rockfish is hard to match with an artificail bait. They definitely aren't the hardiest bait around but with a little work you can keep them nice and lively.

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
                  spot, along with other bait just need good water to survive. a live well with water intake is best, havent had a spot even come close to die. many use buckets with aerators which people fail to remember, the bay water is already 78 degrees plus and the sun will heat up that water to leathal temperature in a matter of minutes. some drag a bait bucket behind them which is fine, besides the drag on the kayak, but the second you put it on deck, the clock starts ticking.
                  +1

Its all about the water they're in. First thing I did when I got to SPSP (after buying spot right up the street at Anglers) was to give them fresh bay water...even though I had them in an aerated environment for the short ride. In my aerated live-well setup, I periodically swapped the water out with fresh bay water for temperature regulation.
                  <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Overloading the bait bucket really reduces your chances of having good bait. I really got over the dead spot issue when I stopped "spotting" at 3 baits.

Tipping over the bait bucket in a SIK isn't much fun either.

I get my spot on bottom rigs with earthworms and small (#6?) hooks. Where there are crab pots, there are spot.

Typically I get enough white perch and legal croakers while hunting for my spot so that I at least have fish for lunch.
                    Chesapeake Beach Bum.

Cluttering up the twin beaches

Comment

I keep them in an aerated 5 gallon bucket on the yak and have never had any die. In fact I had spot smashed by Striped that came back with the hooked fish, put them back in the bucket and they are revived ready to be bait for another Striper.
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I use a hi / lo rig with small hooks to catch my spot in 6' to 15' of water, usually just outside of Matapeake pier or under the bay bridge, some time I have to move around a bit to find them, last week I found them up against the bridge pilings, where weeks before the were just out in the open. Sunday I was on a charter outside of Chesapeake beach and they were in 10' of water over hard bottom. I try to anchor my kayak when spot fishing, it seems to work better for me.
                        Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

I use a bait bucket tied to the yak its hell for drag but works fine. I dont have good luck with buying spot if I get em from a bait store I always loose fish with an unairated bait bucket that and in my small bucket more than 3 fish is a crowd. catching spot is easy at the bridge they are just about everywhere this time of year hard not to catch though as I say this I probably just jinxed myself
                          D Hawk
                          Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                          Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Working...
                          X