Seeking live lining Spot info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking live lining Spot info

I'm trying to get some info on live lining at BB. What type/size hook do you use? Do you use weight to get the spot down? Where is the best A place to hook the Spot? dorsal fin, mouth? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Khanh

I'm guessing most of us use 1/O to 4/O circle hooks with a 24" leader to a barrel swivel followed by a bead to protect the knot from a 1/2 oz egg sinker. Purpose of circle hooks is mostly to protect an undersized fish for release. Most charter boats use 4/O trebles to insure hookups. There are 3 choices for hooking the spot and each has fans. Through both lips, top of the head in front of the dorsal fin, or on top between the dorsal and the tail. If you hook in the body make sure the hook is clear of scales.

I like hooking by the tail, reason being the stripers usually take the spot head first putting the hook closer to the side of the mouth for catching the fish.

Comment

Awsome, thank you Capt C-Hawk.

Comment

I use a similar setup.

Mainline (braid) with a 1/2 to 1.5oz inline sinker (no bead)--> snap swivel---> 18-24" of mono leader--->small treble hook.

Last outing, all fish were hooked right in the mouth, with the spot being knocked off the hook when the striper hit it. I've found best success hooking the spot right in front of the dorsal fin.
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I use this same set up.
          I've noticed that the front dorsal may be ripping off (allowing spot to escape) and if so, I usually re-hook right behind the dorsal fin.

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
          I use a similar setup.

Mainline (braid) with a 1/2 to 1.5oz inline sinker (no bead)--> snap swivel---> 18-24" of mono leader--->small treble hook.

Last outing, all fish were hooked right in the mouth, with the spot being knocked off the hook when the striper hit it. I've found best success hooking the spot right in front of the dorsal fin.
          Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Awsome, thank you for all your info guys.

Comment

Has anyone tried using a three-way swivel for this? main line to the swivel, long leader from the swivel to the hook, and a smaller/lighter line from swivel to an egg sinker? I was thinking of trying this so that if the sinker becomes snagged its easy to break it away and quickly replace with another thus not having to re-rig the entire set-up.

Comment

Originally posted by RxForFishin View Post
                Has anyone tried using a three-way swivel for this? main line to the swivel, long leader from the swivel to the hook, and a smaller/lighter line from swivel to an egg sinker? I was thinking of trying this so that if the sinker becomes snagged its easy to break it away and quickly replace with another thus not having to re-rig the entire set-up.
                I wonder if the spot would end up tangling around the sinker line, since its gonna try to swim down to the bottom...
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                  I wonder if the spot would end up tangling around the sinker line, since its gonna try to swim down to the bottom...
                  Hmm hadn't thought of that. May have to reconsider. I was thinking of only using about 3"-6" of line but even that has the potential for tangles.

Comment

Seems to me the inline weight is less likely to snag than one hanging below the rig. At least 2 times recently I've been good and snagged only to have a rock pull the spot free Must be a real mess down there, I know I've added some braid to the collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
                      Must be a real mess down there.
                      that is an understatement - for about 5 minutes, i fought a good size piece of steel cable on 15# test last year. i'm not bragging but i played it well; secretly hoping it was a large black drum. it wasn't. but at least i got a good release on that one - tight lines guys

Comment

Here is the way we rig up to LL on the charter boat:

Medium Spinning reel with 17 lb Mono (I use 10 lb braid on my personal rods)
                        Then, a #3 closed ring Ball Bearing swivel and 3 feet of 20 lb mono as a leader.
                        We use a 5/0 circle hook, to try to save the under sized fish.
                        We prefer to hook the Spot across, just ahead of the dorsal fin, since they seem to hold up better that way.
                        If we need to add weight, we use a clip just above the swivel. We use this because we need to be able to quickly change weight depending upon depth and current speed. Up to about 15 feet we generally do not add weight unless the current is ripping. The Spot manage to get down to that depth with little problem. We have added up to 3 oz. of lead under the bridge with very fast, i.e. Full Moon current.

Comment

Working...
                        X