No announcement yet.

Public Access to the Public Waterfront Parks of Anne Arundel County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's why Lisa was encouraging us to state our needs as kayak anglers.

I cited Jonas Green as good launch site in my email to Mr. Anthony because of the proximity of parking to the water, accessible hours and its rest facilities.

I believe there is nothing lost by stating what we want. After that it is up to the available budgets and the geographies of the sites and yes, the decisions of those in authority to determine what kinds of launches we get.

All in all, I think the county does a good job and I hope it will improve access to the Magothy. I noticed at the Truxton Park launch in Annapolis there was even an HC parking site for a car and trailer close to the ramp. So I do believe the officials want to meet our needs and of course they must comply with regulations regarding access for all where possible.

Regarding Downs, I agree that the trek to the water is long at perhaps 150 to 200 yards depending on where you park. The need for a cart is a given. However, the path is paved and easy to use. Downs also asks you to file a float plan at each visit. Some may find that intrusive but I don't mind and regard it as an added safety factor.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Inspired by this post, I prepared a spreadsheet of the launch ramps in and near Annapolis that I know about. I'm sure there are other locations out there. I don't know how to attach a spreadsheet to a post. I converted the spreadsheet into a .jpg file and attached that. The resolution may not be too good. If you want a copy of the original spreadsheet, send me a pmail with your email address, and I will send it to you. I also welcome revised information about any of the spots included in the spreadsheet, or any new spots that are not already there.

I included only one commercial marina on the list (Smith's Marina in Crownsville). I suspect that most of the other marinas in our area will also allow you to launch and park if you pay a ramp fee.

annapolis launch points.jpg
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Very nice work, John.

Thank you.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Just sent emails to both county exec and prks and rec.

Comment

Thanks guys for this advocacy work. It surely cant hurt. Its a good thing if officials know we are out here. I would think park managers would want us using their park. In these days of tight budgets, poor use stats will be used as an excuse to cut budgets.
            Hurricane Skimmer 128
            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Nice work, John Veil. HJS, you're right. Sometimes a cartop boat launch is only usable on paper, like Quiet Waters Park on the South River in Annapolis. Four different friends, each of whom had paddled out of Quiet Waters *once*, warmed me that it was too-tough carry. I got there, left my boat on my car, walked down and down and down to the water, turned around and walked back up and up and up to the parking lot and then saw the trailhead sign ".7 miles". Then I called my friends and told them they were right.

People who don't kayak don't know that a boat+gear weighs at least 55 pounds, and usually more. They don't know that kayak carts are expensive and that most kayakers don't own one. They see the whitewater dudes on the extreme ESPN shows and think we're all 18 years old and hitting in the water in little boats that weigh less than a gallon of milk and aren't much bigger.

When you write to the county about access, tell the county how big and heavy your boat is and how much your boat and gear weighs. Photos are effective. I emailed photos of kayakers lifting kayaks and carts over the parking log blocking the pedestrian gate on the Fourth of July at Beverly Triton Park and now the log is gone. Offer specific suggestions for improvement for specific parks. I haven't found a possible fix for Quiet Waters Park, unless there's an old road down to the water where the dog beach used to be. It's all steep hills down to the waterfront.

Ask for a shorter carry at Downs Park. I don't think anyone has yet. It's level ground and they would just have to widen the existing path. The sea kayakers asked for a "boat drop" at the waterfront at Beverly Triton - a loading and unloading spot near the water where we could drop off our boats and then go park away from the water instead of wheeling our boats .2 miles from the park entrance. I don't want a waterfront parking spot, I need a waterfront drop off area. The same concept would work at Downs Park.

The sea kayakers did ask for a second launch at Down Park onto Locust Cove on the Bodkin. If you go into the "back" side of Downs Park, across the road from the main entry kiosk, there are individual waterfront picnic areas with tables and grills along Locust Cove. One of those picnic sites would be a great sheltered launch for people who don't want to go out on the Bay. Your support for that request would be great.

We've put together a Southern Anne Arundel County Water Trail from the south shore of the South River down to the Anne Arundel County/Calvert County line. I'll update the site list and post it later.

Lisa

Comment

lisa - You summed it up waaay better than I did. I know this thread was mostly AA County centric but I wanted to point out that other counties have established kayak/canoe launchies "on paper" that are way less than ideal. And you made a good point that some county park personnel may have limited or no exposure to kayaking and all that goes into launching a cartop. Terrapin park on the other side (east side) of the BB is another good example. BTW, I'm a canoer, I can carry a lot more stuff I rarely use.
                Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Public Water Access for Cnty (w/ some names and #'s on the bottom)
                  http://www.aacounty.org/RecParks/lau...m#.UjOLAMu9KSM

Comment

Working...
                  X