No announcement yet.

Bass fishing lure question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree...top water in low light then spinner baits, crank baits or TX rigged plastic when the sun is high in ponds and reservoirs.

On the upper Potomac or Susquehanna I fly rod exclusively. The top water bite often continues into mid-day. If not Clouser Minnows or Wooly Buggers do the trick. Then back to top water in the evening.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Im new to bass fishing as well and have been haveing good success with top water frogs and poppers but even better success with creature baits along shore lines and lay downs. The baby brush hog baits have been real good and is usually my go to bait. I've fished it weightless, texas rigged, on a football jig, on a shaky head jig and with a weighted hook.
      2013 PRO ANGLER 12
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        I think it is important to have confidence in the lures you use. If you like crank baits keep using them. They most definitely catch bass. But vary where you are placing them in the water and alter your retrieval speeds until you find more than "alright" success.
        +1million for having confidence in the lure you use.

Keep in mind too that the lure color could potentially be the only thing keeping you from catching more/any fish. I forget that a lot of times but reminded myself of it this morning. I took a short trip out to a small pond near home and spent 80% of the time fishing 2 different spinnerbaits that turned out to be the wrong color and got zero reaction from the fish. Once I got the color right I had 3 in about 10 minutes.
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
          +1million for having confidence in the lure you use.

Keep in mind too that the lure color could potentially be the only thing keeping you from catching more/any fish. I forget that a lot of times but reminded myself of it this morning. I took a short trip out to a small pond near home and spent 80% of the time fishing 2 different spinnerbaits that turned out to be the wrong color and got zero reaction from the fish. Once I got the color right I had 3 in about 10 minutes.
          How do I determine what is the right color?

Comment

Trial and error. Seriously. If one color is not working, try another. Sometimes that's all it takes. But as a rule of thumb lighter colors on bright days and darker colors in low light or overcast conditions. And if they don't work, try chartreuse.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
            X