Bass leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass leader

I'm lost on this concept and I can't find on the Internet a good explanation. What exactly is a bass leader and when do I use one? I just tie my lures onto my fishing line. Can some1 explain how I attach a leader and what's it's benefits and maybe even a picture would be great! Thanks for helping a noob

Leaders on regular fishing tackle are often heavier line than what's on your spool to give you added protection from abrasion. On fly lines leaders are just the opposite. They taper down to lighter test line (the tippet) to give your fly the proper action.

I use a double surgeons knot to attach leaders and tippets. It's great for connecting mono to mono. I don't know how the knot would work for connections of different line types. But I have never had one break on my mono to mono connections in fly fishing.

http://highcountryflies.com/tying-th...-surgeon-knot/
    Last edited by Mark; 09-15-2013, 02:51 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I use an Albright knot for connecting Mono or Flouro to braid.

Comment

Ok so an example for deep crankbaits would be if I'm using 10# mono I would simply tie 20# on the end and attach the crank to the 20 to handle thicker cover?

Comment

^ yeah. If you use braid as your main line and are going after shy fish, you'll want to have some clear line between your main line and the lure. I use a double uni to connect them.

I'm not much of a largemouth bass fisherman, so I'm not sure about using leaders specifically for bass. And I don't know if there's such a thing as a "bass leader", but maybe.
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Like Chexone, I am not a bass fisherman and cannot offer any experience on how to rig for bass. I can think of at least 3 reasons for adding a leader for the saltwater fishing I do.

1. A heavier leader offers more resistance to having the main line get torn or cut by the fish itself (teeth, gill plates, fins) or by structure in the water.
            2. A mono or fluoro leader is less apparent to the fish than the main line, unless you use clear mono or fluoro for the main line.
            3. If you use braided line as the main line, a mono or fluoro leader is much easier on your hands when you try to grab it to lift the fish onboard -- braided line can easily cut through your skin.

I also use a double uni knot (3 or 4 twists on either side) seems to hold pretty well for me.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

One other reason for using a leader with braid is braid floats. When you're fishign light tackle with braid you might find that your lure isn't getting to the desired depth. If you tie on a flourocarbon leader(sinks) that's no longer an issue. This is only an issue if you''re using really small lures 1/16-1/8th jig heads etc.

Comment

Working...
              X