October Meet and Greet, South River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daddyg View Post
    You should actually ask Dogfish what you need I was there at the M&G he got run over by a boat yellow yak orange sweatshirt and he still got hit.
    . Maybe some air sirens or flares like those used to confuse infrared missiles.
    PigPen - Mt Airy
    Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Because of your input,,I changed my mind...I ll be there!!!

Comment

It is nice to have an orange flag, not required. Some put it on the tip of a fishing rod. I do carry an air horn. It never hurts to be seen and/or heard if necessary.

It should be a good day fishing.

Comment

How do these normally work? I am new to fishing from the kayak. Caught a decent cat last week and realized how small the platform is when I had her on the grippers and was trying to get the stringer into play. I am eager to learn how and where to find stripers. I am coming out of Waldorf as well. My concern is to make the drive, be out in the rain and everyone scatters. With the wind and my large kayak, I won't be as fast or able to keep up with the sleeker yaks or pedal drive versions.
          Hobie Outback
          Stand Up Paddle Board
          Pelican 100

Comment

I am new to this as well.

I am excited that it looks like work and the weather are going to break enough for me to make this event. Anyone have any suggestions on “must have” tackle for the area?

Comment

For new kayakers, you will launch in a cove, protected area. You can work your way out at your own pace. Tomorrow everyone will be back in the river, as the bay will be rough. The river is protected and will be flat with a NNE wind. There will be kayaks around most of the time, from past experience. You will be able to choose your fishing location from coves, more protected areas to the open river. It is really not that vast an area to fish. If you look at the charts that I posted, from the red X, the launch, you can to out to the #6 Marker, which is a point, and find plenty fish. Moon and CLM, as you are both new to this type fishing, you could hook up and fish together. From what I have read there will be others new to kayak fishing at this meet and greet. This is actually a good time to start out. Don't be intimidated, there is plenty of water to fish. There are plenty of fish out in the river this time of year. Trolling is generally the name of the game. If I were new to this sort of thing, I would probably troll Storm swim shads in a white or pearl color. That is an easy lure to troll. Lipless crankbaits, such as rattletraps are easy to troll, by peddle or by paddle, or with medium spinning or casting tackle. I have even trolled a large 3/8 to 1/2oz Rooster Tail, with much luck. If you are paddle or peddle, you can vary the speed of the troll. There are shallow flats as well as deeper drop-offs to explore. Small spoons also work, such as a nickel plated Dare Devil or Drone spoon. Although, with a spoon you will need a weight forward of the spoon in-line. It is not that difficult, and there will be plenty of folks there to give you some advice. After, there will be lunch, where you can go over what you did and hear how others did.

Good luck.
              Last edited by DOGFISH; 10-11-2013, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Prior commitments have been cancelled for the weekend. I will be attending the M&G, but not lunch.
                2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Looks like prior commitments have been cancelled for Saturday, so it looks like I can try and make this M&G. I am planning on getting my kayak ready, but if I do not have it ready in time, I will still be there for lunch to see how everyone did.

Comment

sorry guys but due too weather Im out for tomorrow. Good Luck to everyone. and Please be safe
                    Tom Brown
                    Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                    2012 Hobie PA 14'
                    Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                    2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                      Prior commitments have been cancelled for the weekend. I will be attending the M&G, but not lunch.
                      Boo who Sparky...no lunch?

Comment

Mother-in-law is saving the day and watching my kids...I don't want to push the envelope, LOL

Originally posted by moc View Post
                        Boo who Sparky...no lunch?
                        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

You and I both. I have a Hobie Outback driving from Waldorf and first time I'm going solely on fishing, the other two outings were with the wife.

Comment

Meh. I just woke up. I'll head out toward noon to meet up with Russ
                            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                              Meh. I just woke up. I'll head out toward noon to meet up with Russ

I got called into work early this morning. Power out in building and email server down. I'll be there as soon as I can. Maybe around 12:30pm. Most likely at that point I will just be there for the lunch.

Comment

Had a good time at my first M&G. I stink at names. I remember Steve, the other guy that had to paddle. So jealous of ya'lls rides. I had the sexy purple beast. image.jpg. No trolling for me. No rod holders...but that was the first thing I added when I got home, along with a paddle bungee holder. I left at 11, just as it started to drizzle again. I got a chance to break in my frog tog over boots. They worked well. Feet stayed nice and dry. I found a cheaply life vest in some brush and caught 2 small perch ( I think). I am a catfish, LM bass, crappie and blue gill guy. Still learning what the rest are in this area. I hope the lunch was good, I wish I could have stayed but battling the wind around and around got the best of me. I figure 3 1/2 hours was enough exercise for today. Hope to see you guys and others during nicer weather.
                                image.jpg
                                Hobie Outback
                                Stand Up Paddle Board
                                Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
                                X