Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone ever fish the north part of the severn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone ever fish the north part of the severn?

I had a relative move to the very north part of the severn... is it called the end? or beginning?

The neighborhood has a private boat ramp, so I'm planning on checking it out. Anyone know what I can catch up there?

How far north? I fish north of Cedar Point. Not nearly as much as last year, but I'm happy to pass along what intel I have.
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
      How far north? I fish north of Cedar Point. Not nearly as much as last year, but I'm happy to pass along what intel I have.

I'm not sure what Cedar Point is. But if it's where Cedar Point road is, then around 1 mile up river of that. I mainly fish the Bay, so not sure how different this kind of location is. I'd appreciate any help you can give me. By any chance you ever hear anyone crabbing around there?

Comment

If you're referring to the Severn Run area then you can catch the same things as every other part. I've caught keeper rockfish up there, lots of perch, bluegills, yellow perch,croakers. I've seen a fair number of large carp there, but haven't targeted them at all.

Comment

Cedar Point is part of Linstead (next to Severn School) in Severna Park. There's a small, older home on what IMO is one of the most beautiful pieces of property on the river. Water on three sides and runs out almost to the last lighted day marker on the Severn.

Yes, you can certainly crab there. I've unintentionally caught many when I let a lure sit on the bottom too long. I pulled probably a dozen keeper rock out of there last fall. Other than that, see above. I've not personally seen as many pickerel the last couple years but also have changed the way I fish.
          Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

thanks guys for the input. Seeing how I can still catch keeper rocks up there, I'm really looking forward to trying this new area out.

Comment

My time has been pretty limited this year between work and family, but if we can find a time that works I'd be happy to show you around my favorite spots. There's a LOT of water out there and with limited public launch sites I don't think it gets quite the pressure that other areas get. My biggest fish last year was a 26. Not huge, but a whole lotta fun in a kayak!
              Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

You may want to look at the Severn River Rod and Keg Club (SRRKC). It is one of the forums on www.tidalfish.com. You will find information there about fishing throughout the river. Most of the members there (other than me) are primarily power boat fishermen. I take my center console to the upper reaches of the river about once each year. Most of my river trips are in the kayak, and are within a 2-mile radius of Jonas Green or Weems Creek.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I grew up in Linstead, but I think kutjc is referring to the neighborhood of Ben Oaks, Fair Winds and Carrollton Manor or possibly the West Severna Park community beach. There's probably plenty of white perch, and maybe pickeral further up river in the colder months in those quiet coves, marsh areas and lagoons.

I knew the Linstead part of the river like the back of my hand, but I no longer have access to it. Shamefully, it is ALL private accessed community beaches. The Nazis at Olde Severna Park Beach will have you arrested for trespassing on THEIR river. I haven't fished that part of the river in several decades. Obviously, this does not sit well with me.

A bit off topic, but I did notice the last time I was there that the little "sandy point" at the inlet into Yantz cove is now completely underwater. I would walk there frequently as a kid, and we'd water ski and fish off there. No more, climate change has taken it's toll.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
                    A bit off topic, but I did notice the last time I was there that the little "sandy point" at the inlet into Yantz cove is now completely underwater. I would walk there frequently as a kid, and we'd water ski and fish off there. No more, climate change has taken it's toll.
                    It's still there. I paddle around it when I launch from my pretentious, elitist community marina. On very high tides or when the wind has been blowing up the bay it is a few inches under water.

Opinions and bad blood aside, I've never had anyone in the area give me a hard time when I'm in my yak. I actually had one owner talk to me for several minutes while I untangled my line and the attached fish from her pier. Bad timing on my part. She didn't know me but could not have been nicer and said she really enjoyed seeing people (me) taking advantage of the water.
                    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
                      I grew up in Linstead, but I think kutjc is referring to the neighborhood of Ben Oaks, Fair Winds and Carrollton Manor or possibly the West Severna Park community beach. There's probably plenty of white perch, and maybe pickeral further up river in the colder months in those quiet coves, marsh areas and lagoons.

I knew the Linstead part of the river like the back of my hand, but I no longer have access to it. Shamefully, it is ALL private accessed community beaches. The Nazis at Olde Severna Park Beach will have you arrested for trespassing on THEIR river. I haven't fished that part of the river in several decades. Obviously, this does not sit well with me.

I believe it's the Carrollton Manor neighborhood. I didn't want to bother my sister with a bunch of questions since they're moving now. And I know nothing about that area, so thanks for your help. I'll see what I can do to get you back into those waters, if you ever wanted to join me.

I feel you on the private access stuff, everywhere in MD. there are so many places I would love to fish, but it feels like every shore in maryland is privately owned.

Comment

man i had a bunch of replys but it never got posted. I believe it's the Carrollton Manor neighborhood (thanks Fishinfool). I feel you guys on limited access, i feel almost everything in the bay and it's tributaries are privately owned.

Fishinfool,

I'll see if I can get you back into that area. It'll depend on what my the neighborhood rules are.

dsiekman,

Thanks for all your help. I'll PM you once my sister gets their water access passes. I really appreciate the offer to show me around.

J.A. Veil,

you help everybody in this forum. so many thanks.

Comment

Carrollton Manor is pretty far upriver towards the Severn Run. A friend from school lives up there and catches perch and pickeral. You can paddle up to Indian Landing and towards Severn Run Environmental Area, which is !,700 acres of state owned land that is gorgeous. There used to be trout up there, and the yellow perch spawned every March there in droves.

Thanks for your offer, I need to calm down on the access thing. Good luck with getting to know that area, and maybe we can meet up at some point.

Originally posted by kuljc View Post
                          man i had a bunch of replys but it never got posted. I believe it's the Carrollton Manor neighborhood (thanks Fishinfool). I feel you guys on limited access, i feel almost everything in the bay and it's tributaries are privately owned.

Fishinfool,

I'll see if I can get you back into that area. It'll depend on what my the neighborhood rules are.

dsiekman,

Thanks for all your help. I'll PM you once my sister gets their water access passes. I really appreciate the offer to show me around.

J.A. Veil,

you help everybody in this forum. so many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X