Trolling question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling question

I want to set 2 rods up for trolling off the back of my yak. I am wondering if 15# test with a 40# leader is adequate. Also what type of lures an depths should I consider for trolling about 30 feet of water

I use 20lb braid for most of the year, with 30 or 40lb fluorocarbon leader. I troll mostly crankbaits. Crankbaits can be had with a variety of depths, controlled by the lip on the lure. Such as, Rapala makes a saltwater series X-Rap that has 10, 15, 20 and 30ft depth ratings. I generally troll a shallow lure and a deeper lure. You can then change out lures depending on what you are seeing of your FF. Just about any lure can be trolled deeper by adding trolling sinkers, bucktails, spoons and plugs. From a kayak a tandem bucktail rig in varying weights will also troll at different depths. Remember, for heavier weights and rigs you will need heavier rods. That is why I like crankbaits. I can use heavy or medium heavy casting tackle.

Spring trolling for larger fish, you will need at least 30lb test and heavier rods.

In a nutshell that pretty much answer you question.

Comment

I've never tried it but have heard about people using deep diving crankbaits with a small bucktail behind it as a light tackle trolling setup. 15# mainline would work fine for that but to get non-diving lures down deep you are going to need to add quite a few ounces of lead which would probably be a little much for 15. You could try the crankbait/bucktail on one rod then either a spoon or bucktail tandem on the other with 3-4 ounces or whatever the rod can handle.

Comment

Originally posted by ES Fisherman View Post
        I've never tried it but have heard about people using deep diving crankbaits with a small bucktail behind it as a light tackle trolling setup. 15# mainline would work fine for that but to get non-diving lures down deep you are going to need to add quite a few ounces of lead which would probably be a little much for 15. You could try the crankbait/bucktail on one rod then either a spoon or bucktail tandem on the other with 3-4 ounces or whatever the rod can handle.
        How would u rig the buck tail behind the crankbait? Should I move up to 25# line and a 40 or 50 leader?

Comment

You run crankbaits by them selves, one to a line. Tandem bucktail rigs are just that, two bucktails to a line. Just use a three way swivel. Twenty or Thirty pound braid is only the diameter of about 8lb mono. Braid is the way to go. For this time of year 30 or 40 lb clear mono is just fine.

Comment

Here's the article from CLT where I first heard about the crankbait/bucktail combo: http://www.chesapeakelighttackle.com...ckle-trolling/

Comment

Looks like a neat concept. It still looks like a lot of tangles. It is kind of like using the crank as a planer.

Comment

Yeah, you probably have to keep a pretty consistent speed to fish it effectively. Might not be a good option on windy/rough days.

Comment

Crankbaits and mini umbrella lures are really a great combo for rock this time of year. Although I highly recommend that you put the rods in front of you and straight outward from the sides of the yak. Seeing the rods is pretty key because you don't necessarily hear the drag. You can also see if you're hitting bottom or getting snagged...if the lure is fouled, etc. You cant be looking backward all the time. You'll get dizzy :-)

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                  Alan

Comment

3-5" baits work great in the northern part of the bay this time of year. I can't speak for the more southerly parts. Focus on drop offs and use baits that run about that depth so when they peak over the precipice, the rock are there waiting to ambush.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Working...
                    X