Stripped screw hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped screw hole

Bought a new WS tarpon which arrived today. While giving the boat the once over, I noticed that a few of the screws were somewhat loose. While tightening one of the screws holding the gear trac, it felt like it was a little stripped.

The screws sort of go into a nipple of polyurethane that's moulded into the boat -- they're not through bolted machine screws.

I don't think the screw is in any danger of coming out on its own but was wondering if anyone else has stripped a screw in this type of anchor and what approach they took to fixing it.

One post I found online was to get a small zip tie and cut off the tip then glue it down in the hold and re-screw. Wasn't sure about super glue on the poly ?

Any tips from the yakkin' brethren?

The zip tie sounds good. I have done the same thing with wood splinters at home to tighten up a loose hole. A good wrap of plumbers tape might work too and would probably keep the screw lined up better if you find there is an alignment issue with the zip tie. Are you concerned with the screw coming out, the hole leaking, or both?
    Mike

Comment

no - i don't think it will leak because the anchor area is actually like an inverted cone that's moulded into the boat. The screw may not even come out. I guess it's just one of those things where I know it may be stripped and wondering if I should do something about it or leave it be.

Comment

If ur worried remove the screw put some goop on the screw and replace it should hold. Or just say screw it! (Couldn't help myself )

Comment

Never used Goop before but I know there are a few different varieties. Do you think just plain old Goop would do or should I try and search for the elusive "marine" goop ? (this isn't really a water tight application)

Comment

I bought Goop at Walmart for under $4. I think the "Marine Goop" is like $25.

As far as I can tell, it is pretty much the same stuff.
            Mike

Comment

Use marine goop on the yak its a small hole but it has saltwater and UV protection

Comment

Working...
              X