Federal launches heads-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal launches heads-up

I just read a warning on another fishing site that some boat launches on Federal properties might be closed due to the Federal shut-down. This may seriously affect launches on the Potomac River. Certainly the National Park at Great Falls will be closed, but I have no idea how far down river or upriver access may be denied... as far downriver as Fletchers and beyond??? How far upriver is anyones guess. Hopefully the shut-down won't last too long. Maybe someone else may have more information.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

I do t have more information but I do know a lot of launches on either side of the river are state parks and they are not affected. Like Algonkian or river bend on the va side

Comment

Most of the Upper Potomac Launches on the Maryland side (like Brunswick, Lander and Point of Rocks) are National Park Service. Sounds like they intend to lock the gates (if the boat ramp area has one).
      Last edited by Turtle135; 10-01-2013, 03:31 PM.
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I heard Pennyfield was blocked today by National Guard troops. But not sure if it was a joke.
        Last edited by DanMarino; 10-01-2013, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
          I heard Pennyfield was blocked today by National Guard troops. But not sure if it was a joke.
          I hope that's a joke. That's a montgomery county park.

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
            I hope that's a joke. That's a montgomery county park.
            Looks like I'm wrong it is run by nps

Comment

Hopefully the ramps will be open by this weekend. However, if not, with my trusty kayak cart (and the cover of darkness) I will get on that river!
              Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

POR is closed and the out houses are closed. Portable Jon's along the trail have two banding straps wrapped around them with a sign indicating federal park close. It's not looking good when the Jon's are closed. Didn't have a chance to check Landers however my guess is that it's likely closed too.
                Yellow Submarine - Hobie PA
                Stealth Green Tarpon 140
                Orange Koho Perception

Comment

That's the spirit!!

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
                  Hopefully the ramps will be open by this weekend. However, if not, with my trusty kayak cart (and the cover of darkness) I will get on that river!
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
                    It will take more than the national guard and some locked gates to slow turtle down!
                    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

I bet you could launch from the Brunswick campground ramp. I donubt NPS could close it down too.

Comment

Working...
                      X