Lure size may make a difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lure size may make a difference

As in many other aspects of life, size does matter when it comes to lures. Both fishing trips described here were made from my Scout center console, but I posted it here on the main board as a piece of information rather than a specific fishing report.

When I fished on Monday, I tossed a variety of soft plastics into breaking bluefish. The smaller lures were hit on most casts. The one longer lure I threw was ignored until I tore 2" off the end and reused it. Then it got hit.

This morning I had a similar experience. I rarely throw hard plastic plugs and poppers, but decided to spend some time on each trip this month practicing. I came out of Sandy Point and headed south. I tried throwing a popper at several shallow points, but had no luck. Then I spotted a few birds whirling around at a location with 15-20 ft water depth. I rode over there and saw plenty of breaking fish. I first threw out a jighead with soft plastic to see whether these fish were rockfish or blues. It turned out it was a mixed group. After having one soft plastic tail bitten off, I attached my smallest popper. With the light chop on the water, I could not really pop it very well. Instead, I cranked it back at varying speeds such that it made a surface commotion and threw out spray. On the second cast, I hooked a strong fish that ran about 180 degrees around the boat. When I got it to the boat I saw it was a bluefish of 17" -- my largest blue of the year. I continued casting the popper and caught several smaller bluefish and several rockfish.

I wanted to try some of the other poppers in my tray, and put one on that was about an inch longer and fatter around. I cast it right into the middle of breaking fish time and again and caught only one fish in 25 casts. As soon as I put the first smaller popper back on, I began getting hits on every cast and hooked a few more fish.

003.jpg

The difference in size was not too dramatic, but it must have looked or sounded different to the fish.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Nice write up John. I wonder if color mattered at all?

Comment

Match the hatch

Comment

I was reading a book about crank baits suggesting color was the least important and thought vibrations, size and contrast were the most important. Guy had a PhD in acquatic science. Guy did a pretty good job.
        PigPen - Mt Airy
        Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
          Match the hatch
          Where I agree with that, don't you agree that sometimes you need to throw them a T-Bone when there is nothing but hamburgers around?
          Jeff
          Life's Short, Fish Hard
          Malibu X-Factor
          Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

Definitely .......... Big lure ..... Big fish ..........

Won't catch as much but you'll get less dinks ....... Depends what you want and what your willing to for it ......... Do you want a lot of pillage or just 1 bigun and are you willing to catch nothing for the chance .......... What's right is different for everyone ......... Of course there has to be big fish there to catch them ........... I think slightly larger is sometimes the key ..... Ie Bait is 4in so you use a 6 in ......... John found what they wanted and gave it to them

Comment

I agree with match the hatch. This time of year it is a lure something the size of young of the year menhaden, with the right contrast. As far as surface lures go, remember the fish tend to see a surface silhouette, with possibly some refraction around the edge where the water tension is broken. This is why black is such a popular color for surface plugs. Of course, some folks like colors they can see on the surface. When using cranks, I like something with a little flash or a lighter color, since the bay is stained water.

As far as size, I tend to go as large a lure as I can get away with. As far as rockfish, they tend to have a larger mouth and swallow fish whole. Whereas, smaller bluefish will bite off a chunk and come back to finish the meal. So when fishing for rock, I hope that they will try to swallow a bit larger bait. Of course, I have had 30" fish hit the same lures that I am catching 18"-20" fish on. Sometimes it depends on your target species. With all of that said, when I find something that is working, I rarely try something different at that point.

Comment

What Don said

Comment

I am of the bigger lure = bigger fish philosophy. I have caught more surprisingly small fish on a big lure than I have larger fish on a small lure. In general though it seems to hold true.
                  Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X