net on kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• net on kayak

Anyone use a net on their kayak? How big or what type do you use? I use a boga but often wonder about using a net. I saw a collapsable net today by Frabil that looks interesting.

i dont unless im fishing for flounder, they have soft mouths and would rather net them than use a lip gripper. otherwise its just something else to snag up on

Comment

I have a rapala foldable net that I take out if I think I might catch a flounder or sea trout. It folds down pretty small but I doubt it could hold a large fish.
      Used to fish more.

Comment

I use a cheap one from Bass Pro when I'm flounder fishing.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop.../37127/-276417

It sits in my Crate Mate rod holder until I start fishing. I bought two magnetic net holders that are used for holding a trout net to a fly fishing vest. I put two of the magnetic ends on the hoop of the net, and the other two ends are attached to the bungees for the front hatch. When I'm fishing, I rest the hoop of the net on the bow, and the magnets hold it in place until I need it.

Ego makes a floating net, but it's expensive:

https://www.adventureproducts.com/in...ogcode=egowade

The Bass Pro nets don't float, which I found out the hard way. I've been meaning to use some Goop on the ends of the handle which should seal it and maybe add a bit of pool noodle.

I had a folding net with rubber mesh, but it was a pain unfolding it and getting it to lock. I think it was called "Great Net", but it was a POS.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

My father-in-law gave me a flyfishing net, has a retractable cord in the handle with a clip to attach to kayak. Works great.

Comment

I almost always use a net if it's a good fish. I just think there's too much that can go wrong with no slack in the line and trying to reach over or swing the fish in. I don't want anything to chance. I have two nets, one that will work for most fish. It's basically a larger trout net. I have another one that I'd only take out when I'm going for bigger fish like spring stripers. It has a long handle and a large opening. The small net used to stow slipped just inside my crate but now it stows in the new crate cover I got at the fishing expo. It has a little spot that seems just perfect for it. The larger net I just stow in one of the rod holders. It doesn't get in the way, but that will depend on your setup. I have places for 7 rods so I just move things around until it's convenient.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

I have a wide net with a short handle ........ works great ........ easier to handle the fish with less damage to the fish and less change you getting injured ......... fits in 1 of the rod holders ......... wish I could get 1 with flouresent netting ....... anything to make you more visable ......

Comment

Thanks Bill. I like the look of the Ego net. I usually don't use a net. The wade net will lay flat. I don't want one that will stick up, as I fear the sail affect. I have a visapole with a flag, so that is bad enough. I was also thinging about the one at BassPro in the fly fishing section. It is the one that sill measure, with an extension handle. However, the wade net is more like a real net. I'll have to revisit the use of a net.

Comment

we never use nets, we use the leg scoop.

Comment

So far I haven't the need for one. But if I catch a big one, I'll use the leg scoop method.
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                    X